Midwife - what is the point?!

Ray

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I had my first midwife appointment a couple of weeks ago and I thought she was so unhelpful. I had a couple of specific questions and concerns and she said I should speak to my GP if I was worried. I then called her with a concern/question last week... she didn't call me back until today and again was so unhelpful.

I'm really wondering what the point of her really is? She's so unhelpful, short with me and unsupportive. This is my first baby so I'm feeling quite overwhelmed by everything and just want to know my concerns are normal and that she is there for me.

I know she won't be the person to deliver the baby, I'm speaking to my GP about my queries/concerns, so really what is the point in her? She hasn't even weighed me... the only thing I got out of the last appointment was hearing the baby's heart beat. What else will she be useful for going forward? How often will I see her from here on in?

Any advice welcomed!

Thanks x

thats doesnt sound right thats what she is there for a would be fuming and would want me midwife changed if a was u especially being first time mum u need all help resurrance as possible shes not giving u it defo would want changex

If I was in your shoes I'd change my midwife... That's terrible!! Midwife's are supposed to listen to your concerns and reassure you where it's necessary!! My midwife is very busy but still makes time for all of her clients when they need it.... Hope you get everything sorted x

my midwife is exactly the same, my pregnancy hasn't been the easiest so far but i have a fab GP and if i have any problems i just contact the community midwives team and they help me or direct me where to go.

hiya

she doesnt sound like shes doing her job properly to be honest! my midwife, as lovely as she is -always seems to be on annual leave! 2 out of my 4 appointments ive had she had been off. so i feel like im missing out on the personal touch of support they are supposed to give.,

although yours sounds like she doesnt enjoy her job in the slightest! she is sposed to measure your bumpy at your next one and answer any questions and concerns etc! can you request a change of midwife? x

Aa Thats such a shame my midwife is lovely! If I call and get machine she calls me back within 10 mins!!! Try to change if you can....

aw, ive had this..........more whilst i was in labor but still annoying

with my first son i had/have the same midwife as i do this time, and as lovely as she is shes still a little dotty an as jld said ive had 4 apps with her and only seen her twice

they are genrally there just to check blood pressure/urine/hb/ and measure your bump and to take your bloods first app

i think they some times forget the reason they do the job which in my opinion is to be involved in the big journey of people lifes about having a baby - an some time it ends up spesh if you have a late app were its just routine for them as much as its a very special time for you and they dont put in the effort you would like,

my advice would be always get and earlie appointment, and if the next time you see her shes the same just explain that its your first child an you dont feel like shes very helpful etc as she may not even no the way shes being

if that dont work you could change but you may find its just the same

i had a horrible time with - off midwifes an doctors at hozzy whilst in labor with my first, they all talking down to me like i didnt have a clue coz it was my first child, not keeping me informed an really just genral poor care! and my labor as a result was horrible an ended up in section and to top it off all my belongings an cloths a took got burnt an binned |(over 200 pounds )

this time i know my thing n trust i will not be made to feel like that again

Hey hun, doesn't sound like she much use; first MW appointment and your 18 weeks? What about bloods etc?

If worried about stuff do talk to your GP if they will help, after all they are there for your care too. If they suggest you go to the MW and ask explain why you haven't asked her...

xx

Thanks for all the advice.... think I'm going to look in to changing her and see if that helps! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back