Midwife today, a bit miffed.

Rosieroo

Reaction score
Just saw my midwife. Asked her about Doppler usage and whether it was safe and got a lecture on how I shouldn't count the heartbeat otherwise if it dropped from 140 to 110 I will be ringing them up and it's totally normal for it to do that. :roll: I've never called my midwife yet about anything, and she made me feel like a total neurotic idiot.

She had a trainee midwife with her who took my Downs double test, well she tried to. Ouch!! She tried one arm twice and no blood was coming out, so my midwife took over on the other arm and it was fine. Felt like a pin cushion.

I've also had some problems down below, it's been really burning when I wee and at other times, I've had to sit in a cold bath just to try and soothe my bits. She said it was a problem for my GP and to see them. This has been accompanied by sharp stomach pains. As I was leaving she said she thought my problem was probably the baby growing, I didn't realise that meant your pee hole felt like someone was dragging stinging nettles through it!!

I wouldn't change midwife as I would feel awkward asking my GP if I could see the other one who goes to my surgery (who looks like a complete dragon), but I feel a bit vulnerable at this woman delivering my baby :(

Hi Rosie

If you're having a hospital birth then you probably won't get either of the dragon ladies (hopefully!) - at least that's how it works in our area - there are loads of midwives and you get whoever is on duty at the hospital at the time - your current midwife may be doing surgery appointments or home visits.

It's a shame because I'm the opposite - I love my midwife and would love to guarantee getting her for the birth.

I would get your problem checked out by your GP - may be cystitis or a urinary infection.

LBxx

I have to call my midwife when I am in labour and she comes to the hospital with me :?

Got an appointment with a GP on Thursday to check out my waterworks etc. I would've made an appointment last week if I'd know she couldn't help. Spent the weekend in agonies apart from when I was sat in a cold bath.

Oh you poor thing. I get UTIs very easily but I've been lucky so far since I got pregnant. Don't forget that you can use paracetamol safely for the pain, also drink lots and lots of water, and cranberry juice. Basically it can be more painful if your urine is acidic so avoid acidic things and keep yourself hydrated. If you think that it's getting worse then I'd try and get an earlier appoinment if I were you. Nothing (not even the dreadful period pain that I get) makes me more tearful and desperate than cystitus- don't suffer with it if there's chance of getting antibiotics sooner. Hope it goes soon,

+++

Thanks girls, can always rely on you to put my mind at ease.

That's true about acidic drinks, I had OJ the other morning and the pain after that :shock: :shock: I'm hoping that they will pick up a bug, but if it took a while for them with you Beanie, I'm not hopeful.
Rosebay, it's been making me tearful too, especially at night cos I can't sleep and have to keep going for these little burning trickles and it hurts!

If you are weeing frequently and it's only a drop it definately sounds like cystitis - so plenty of water and cranberry juice for you my dear

(((rosieroo))) lots of sympathy going your way! I've been there, sobbing on the loo- it's awful :(. It's just that fear of having to pee again and the inevitability of the pain that gets you down isn't it :(. One other thing you might try is some sodium bicarbonate in some water- I asked my midwife about this when I first got pregnant as it is my secret weapon against cystitus normally and I wanted to check if it was ok to use when pregnant in case of emergency. Basically I would have a teaspoon of it in some water and then flush it down with a pint of water or two (or as much as you can stand) as it raises the ph (or lowers- never was good at these things) level of your urine to a less acidic level. It does raise your blood pressure a bit but if yours has been ok then I reckon 1/2 a teaspoon would be ok- I mean if you had some sherbert that's the main ingredient and there's no warning to pregnant women on the side of that!! My midwife said she'd never heard of it but that she didn't think it would do any harm if it was occasional but I haven't had to use it yet. If I start getting twinges you see my first aid response is to get that down me, take a painkiller and drink as much water as I can hold constantly- put my feet up (better still sleep) and try not to think about it too much as I get fearful and stressed as soon as I think it'll happen. These days I can often ward off a full blown attack by doing this :) when I was a student I really suffered from it as my immune system was low and I got it lots and badly :(.

I've read lots of self-help books about it as a lot of women suffer from it and this the strategy I've learnt over the years! I usually put some hot water in the cold water I drink so that it's warm and much easier to drink more of. The constant flushing through your system will help stop the bacteria from getting a grip you see and will also dilute your urine- making it less acidic. One tip though- if you've got to provide a sample when going to the Drs try and do it first thing in the morning or at least not after you've been drinking loads because otherwise the bacteria won't be as easily picked up on the test. Ladies who get it a lot keep a spare sample tube around so that they can bag the sample before making themselves feel better by drinking lots.

+++

Beanie- yes you're dead right about the sample. Hope they sort you out too... ((((Beanie))))

So they could've done with my midwifes sample, that was so dark! But the one I did it was more diluted as the water had had chance to go through my system. It's been really uncomfortable to walk because my tum is so tender down there, it feels 'swollen' if you know what I mean. And god help if I sit down funny, ouch!

I think maybe I was more sensitive to my midwife because I'm feeling rundown. But she is so busy and rushed I don't feel like I can ask her any questions, I managed to get the doppler one in straight away. The sound she picked up on the doppler she said was the placenta, which means that 99% of the time that's what I have been hearing too (I didn't realise they sounded so similar). She said the baby must have been hiding behind the placenta. She didn't write down it's heart rate or anything like that.

Saw the doc today and I have THRUSH!! Didn't think it was that because it hasn't been itchy, just really sore. She could tell from just looking at my bits that's what I have which is why it's been hurting so much :oops: :oops: :oops: She has prescribed pessaries for me to use over the next 6 nights and also cream (which I've put in the fridge so it's nice and cool).

Poor you! Mind you thrush can cause cystitus so keep up the water intake as well just in case. Hope the stuff works super quick for you- what a good idea to put them in the fridge :)

+++

Rosebay said:
Poor you! Mind you thrush can cause cystitus so keep up the water intake as well just in case. Hope the stuff works super quick for you- what a good idea to put them in the fridge :)

+++

I do think I might have a touch of cystitis, because of the burning and frequent weeing. Am drinking plenty of water which seems to be flushing me out.

Makes you feel skanky when you have thrush, like you've been unhygenic :( I only wear cotton undies, have been wearing linen trousers and 3/4 lengths and having baths with no smellies :(

Oh hugs to you rosieroo, i know thrush aint nice but loads of women get it during pregnancy most who have never had it before, i was reading something the other day and apparently it can keep coming back and they advise to go without knickers whenever you can to let the air get to it and also eating yougurt as this is supposed to help with the ph level or something.

Hope you're feeling better soon

they advise to go without knickers whenever you can to let the air get to it

Blimey, better explain to DH what I am doing before he thinks his luck is in! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back