Midwife at Birth?

Yvonne

Reaction score
Hi All,

i was wondering if it was possible to request a certain midwife to be at the birth if they were not on holiday etc.
The midwife i have been asigned was the midwife i had with Amy, she was fantastic and she is just as good this time, i feel i can really let go with her and ask her anything i want and she understands.
i had a difficult delivery wit Amy and it was stuff like retained placenta, her shoulders got stuck etc so iwould like her to be at this birth as she knew exactly what i went through, and i would feel so much better knowing she was there as it is all likely to happen again.

i'm scared of a midwife not reading my notes properly and not seeing all the alerts!

Has Anyone ever done it or knows someone who has?

Hi,

Not sure if you can do this, but it seems every part of the country you live in have different rules about all sorts of pregnancy and birth things - I would say it's worth asking for sure.

Good luck :)

i dont want to sound stupid for asking though!!!!

i'll see how it goes

Hi Amy's mum

I know how you feel - I would love my midwife to be there. We talked about home births and she will definitely come to my home if I opt for a home birth, however if it's in hospital it will be whoever is on duty :( .

Still can't make up my mind about homebirths - I'd be interested to know how many midwives/nurses etc have their children at home.

As minikins says every part of the country appears to be different - some people have said that they phone their midwife when they go into labour and the midwife accompanies them to the hospital.

Anyway it's got to be worth asking her - particularly as she was your midwife with Amy. You wouldn't sound stupid - she probaly gets the question all the time (especially if she's nice!)

Sxx

there is a genuine reason for me wanting her there, i had a bad delivery with Amy, and needed blood transfusion, and went to theatre after, her shift finished at 4pm and she waited til i came out of the the theatre and came round before she went home, she didn't go til 8.30!!! she was so nice and undrstanding.
i am just scared of the midwives missing notes in my book and i dont know if others will be so caring as she was.

no harm in asking

:D :D :D :D

Find out from your midwife if she's part of a domino scheme? Otherwise, if I can remember correctly, you pretty much get who you're given. Tell your midwife how you feel - you never know what might come from that.

Both my kids were born in UK and the bit I liked least, was not knowing who the midwife was going to be. Now here in SA, I've chosen a private midwife that is looking after me until after the delivery. She's delivering baby in water. I feel much more confident now knowing that she's friendly, caring and patient!
However, I'm certain that the majority of UK midwives are great. You'll always find an old hag here and there! With my last baby, the one midwife was more impressed with her tan she picked up in Greece than with me trying to tell her that my waters had broken and that I was in AGONY!!! Can laugh about it now! :lol:
Good luck and DONT worry - speak to your midwife or GP about it. They'll reassure you one way or another.
xx
Emilia

thanks for that i will do,

She will probably understand why i'm asking.

I'll let you know how it goes

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back