Mental health and pregnancy

Maaaaaac

Reaction score
This is quite a personal question. I appreciate that some may not want to answer but id appreciate even a personal message if you can answer some questions.

During booking appointment or at any time really during pregnancy is previous mental health history ever mentioned? Do midwives have access to medical records? Im concerned and kinda dont want to have to go into detail to midwife because im passed that part of my life and i dont want them to automatically assume im going to have issues post natal. I dont know why im so hung up on it but just feel im going to be judged thst i wont be a capable mother when im very mentally well right now, the best and happiest ive ever been.

Just want to know to prepare myself if i have to go into detail.

Hi hun glad your over that part in your life and are moving on. At my booking in appointment they did ask about mental health but I'm not sure if they have access to anything and if you said to I don't think they would check. I hope someone has said yes so they can give you a better idea on what happens but I think it's just so they can keep an eye on you and if they notice anything they can talk to you before it becomes a issue. I don't think they just presume your going to end up with PND because lots of people without previous will suffer this. Sorry it's not a great help x

No honestly thats fine and thank you for replying. It was pretty severe so I just dont want them being over dramatic! Just anxious over nothing i guess. Took me a long time to get where i am and dont want assumptions to be made. Silly i know!

When I went the booking in was very much about past health problems including mental health. Also about what education I had. I was thinking it was more of a government statistics report than a booking in session. I answered honestly about my previous mental health issues. I didn't go into detail with her just gave her past dates and conditions. I don't think you have to answer them according to my friend she said you have the right to refuse answering anything but I don't know if that is true. I think with the mental health they can offer support like councilling if you need it which Is why I was honest because I know I have anxiety and it can make you more at risk of depression. i do think they have access to your records so they could just get the details off there If you didn't want to talk about any of it but it's more what did you have and what treatment you had etc they don't go into massive detail and they don't hold anything against you.

Didn't go into detail. Just if I was on meds and which meds I had been on ever, for anything. X

I wasn't asked in detail, the pregnancy notes has a medical history questionnaire in it that you fill in with regards to medical history including a bit about mental health but it's a general question like ' in the past month have you suffered from low mood and have difficulty finding motivation' or along those lines. It didn't specifically ask about past mental health issues so my midwife doesn't even know that I've been treated for depression twice in the past!
What I would say to you though is that you will certainly not be judged for having had mental health issues and if they were significant then it'll be a good thing to share with your midwife as pregnancy can do all sorts of funny things physically and mentally and you want to be the best mentally you can be and the midwife will be prepared to offer support and arrange help for you if needed.

Mine knew about my depression from a couple of years ago and they made a massive point of it, even though I'm fine now and it was bought on by completely unrelated things to the baby. It hasn't been mentioned since though x

Thank you so much everyone. I had such a bad experience with mental health services and im so reluctant now to engage or be honest. I know that is such a bad attitude but ive done so well on my own. I need to shake the idea of a stigma im not helping matters. I obviously will reach out as i know now signs and my family and husband are good too but i just dont want the assumption made that i will fall ill. Im probably just making things worse for myself being anxious but i like to be prepared! Again thank you very much everyone.

I have suffered with depression and anxiety for several years and was very nearly sectioned 4 years ago but this is something that is well and truly in the past now so I don't bring it up. During my booking in appointment one of the questions was "do you or any of your family members suffer with mental health issues" or something along those lines and I advised me, said depression and anxiety - midwife didn't dwell on this, just said for me to contact them at anytime if I felt I needed some assistance.

Hope you're ok xx

I was just asked at booking if I had suffered with any mental health problems ( to Which i answered yes, anxiety & depression). I was asked if I was currently on any medication (not for at least two years). Mw just said they would keep an eye out for postnatal depression. I was also very worried about those sorts of questions as I used to self harm (a long time ago) and went through a really rough patch in 2010. But nothing has been mentioned at all since. I've had more of a
Lecture on why I'm not breast feeding lol xx

I haven't experienced this myself, but from what the other ladies are saying, i think it is something worth mentioning, just so they have a heads up if it was to arise in the future.

There is no rhyme or reason as to who gets PND, but I assume there is a higher risk if you have had previous mental health conditions.

If you are particularly worried about them going into detail, you can politely refuse, and just explain you are not comfortable discussing something that happened in the past with them, however you and your family/partner are aware of the signs and that you will request help if the need arises.

Ultimately, the midwives are there to support you through your pregnancy, regardless of your past, and are not there to judge you. How many mums do you think they have seen across their career? If they were to judge everyone based on the past, they would never get past the mums who had drug or alcohol addictions, or still smoke, or do any of the things we are advised not to do!

Lastly, I would just like to say please do not ever feel like you are being judged by anyone regarding your current or past mental health (I know it is easier said than done). Be proud of who you are, and what you have overcome to be in the position you are in now. And even if you relapse, know that you are not the only one out there, and there are many people who are available to provide the support and assistance you require.

I feel much more positive about the whole thing. I really cant thank you all enough. Copterpops you are so right, they have seen hundreds of women! Im not the first whos had difficulties somewhere along the line :) ive taken control of my life and thats something i should be proud of not ashamed because i lost control. I really am in a better place and worked hard to be med free to start a family.

Nikkijayne thats quite funny. They are very hung up on breastfeeding. My mum couldnt with my little sister and felt like such a failure! Its not fair the pressure they put on!

Thanks for the insight and again thank you so much everyone. :):)

Good to hear you're feeling more positive xx

I'm so glad you are feeling more positive about the whole thing.

You should absolutely feel proud to be where you are now. And it's testiment to how far you have come to be able to admit that you have come through it. Maybe with a few bumps and scrapes. But you made it.

Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy.

I thought Id add this to here because i didnt want to spam the tri 2 thread but i got a call today from the gp and it seems the midwife went ahead and referred me to community mental health at booking appointment . Todays the first ive heard about it i thought she would have said something but apparently not. All she knows is depression and anxiety nothing else.

I spose i should be glad because the last few days ive been really low and im not entirely convinced its not hormones. But still. Im not happy at all that i wasnt even told. I know their care of child is paramount but the care of the patient was meant to be too and mental health services have done nothing for me but cause me grief. Okay rant over.

Its abit out of order she didnt say she would refer you. Maybe they will just say they r there if u need them. What makes u think its not hormones? Iv been very up and down and stressed. I think pregnancy does that to us x

Last edited:
Its been more than a week ive been down, haven't ate or slept well but Im pretty exhausted. Im pretty much spending all my time in bed and ot all feels very familiar to be honest. Husband has flagged it up too hes starting to worry. I was hoping it was hormones but im not so sure. All the excitement abput pregnancy and stuff is gone, im not even thinking about it any more really just feel like its not worth it, i dont deserve it and so itll all go wrong :/

Maaaaaac, I was already with the community mental health team (they call it the wellbeing team where I am) when I found out I was pregnant. Depression and anxiety for me also. This referral is NOT just them concerned about your baby's health. This is your health too. It is bad that they didn't discuss this with you in advance but please try to see this as what it is - a good thing. They want to help you have the best pregnancy experience and be ready to take care of your baby when he/she arrives.

I have had nothing but understanding while negotiating my mental health problems throughout pregnancy. GPs, midwives, health visitor - everyone hasbeen really reassuring. The assumption isn't 'this woman can't take care of a baby'. The assumption is only 'this woman may need additional support to take care of herself and this baby'. Nor is the assumption that because you've had depression/anxiety in the past it will lead to post natal depression. In fact it is less likely to be a problem for us because unlike mentally 'healthy' women - we'll spot the signs of it early and already have easy access to help. Recognising and getting treatment for PND when you don't have a history of mental health issues often takes months.

When you go to your first appointment - be sure to explain that your previous experience with mental health treatment was not a positive one. You've done so well to take control of your life. This referral doesn't take that control away from you - it just gives you additional resources to help you through a time that is difficult for every woman. Use those resources. Tell them what worked for you in the past and what didn't. Continue to be the master of your own health and wellbeing - they are just there to help you do that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back