• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Membrane Sweep

Becky101

Reaction score
Due to have a MW come round tomorrow PM for a sweep. My DH is not very keen on the idea as he thinks we should let nature take its course and that it may introduce infection.

I want this baby out, but now not sure what to do?

when my midwife suggested one i didnt like the idea of it i wanted to let nature takes its course and so on but i ended up having three i was adamant i wasnt going to be medically induced so this was the next best thing that meant i could still have a homebirth(i never in the end anyway but...) the third one done the trick i had a show that evening and the following morning i went into labour.
i would have it again if i went overdue. the infection risk is minimal.
its up to you if you have one or not, if you dont and go long overdue will you be induced? if yes it kinda dissmisses your reasons for refusing a sweep and you may have avoided it if you had. if you do or dont are you ok with the consequences of both? does that make sense??? :?

I do understand what you are saying. It is more DH that has a problem with it and I know it is my body and all that but it is also his baby. I hadn't even thought about questioning it until both DH and my Dad questioned it.

I really don't want to be medically induced had to go into hozzie the other night for a few hours to be monitored and it definitely made me feel that a home birth was the right decision. If I have to go into hospital I do, but I would rather not. They will induce me on 22nd if don't go naturally before then. MW will apparently make the arrangements for this tomorrow when she comes.

you can refuse induction i did so i could still go for my homebirth and i dont agree with it really. midwife was happy with this. its difficult when OH isnt sure mine had some concerns too it must be a man thing :)

Sorry to be a pain but what is one of these, looks like I was due the same day as you to! :)

the midwife runs her fingers round your cervix and tries to sperate waters fromcervix it helps release hormones that get labour started. its been around for years and is usually offered when your overdue. it can be uncomfortable but i didnt find it that bad it just a bit weird

At my 20 week scan they gave me another appointment for 41 weeks (if I hadnt gone by then) which will be wednesday so maybe they will offer me it then if I havent gone by then.

Keira, I had app Tuesday when I was 40 & 1, midwife has booked me in for Monday (41 weeks) for a sweep at the surgery and she will ring Arrowe Park while I am there to book an induction day-which will be 40 & 10 (thurs) or latest Monday (40& 14)xx

Hi Keira, yes both due the same day, both obviously got babies that are too comfy!

Thanks nathanmum for the advice, I will have to wait and see how I feel tomorrow. I think I will have it done though.

Like you say I really want my homebirth, so may well refuse induction if I don't feel it is the right thing for me. I don't really agree with induction either unless there is a problem with you or the baby. I think hospitals are far too interested in treating you as another number rather than a person!

DH was a month overdue as his Mum refused to go into the hospital. I really hope LO doesn't decide to wait that long!

Will let you all know tomorrow after MW has been.

Hi

Do what you feel if right hun your the mom , so you can decide what to do for the most part :) Hope it turns out how you want and baby comes soon
Katrina

Hun at the end of the day an induction is more painful (i've heard) than a natural labour so if your the one that has to go through that induction if things don't move along then you should be the one with the end decision on whether you have the sweep or not.
I had one and without it i'm sure I would have been induced. I went 14 days overdue and finally went in (after having a sweep) on the morning they were due to induce me anyway.

TipsyDipsy said:
Hun at the end of the day an induction is more painful (i've heard) than a natural labour so if your the one that has to go through that induction if things don't move along then you should be the one with the end decision on whether you have the sweep or not.
I had one and without it i'm sure I would have been induced. I went 14 days overdue and finally went in (after having a sweep) on the morning they were due to induce me anyway.

She's had her baby now but i'd just like to add if she had of had an Induction with her first then she wouldn't know any different pain wise, I had an Induction & was absoloutly petrified due to all i had heard but in the end i don't think it was that bad & would do it again if it came to that

Princess_Puddles said:
TipsyDipsy said:

She's had her baby now but i'd just like to add if she had of had an Induction with her first then she wouldn't know any different pain wise, I had an Induction & was absoloutly petrified due to all i had heard but in the end i don't think it was that bad & would do it again if it came to that

Ah thats wonderful that she's had him/her. I'll have to try and find the announcement post. What did she have?
I've been off-line for a few days so have to catch up lol.
I was only going by what i'd heard about it and you've made me feel a bit better if I have to be induced this time. I'm glad its not as bad as people would like us believe. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshatflare
Back