Membrane sweep advice - all opinions welcome!

Discussion in 'Third Trimester' started by Boober, Mar 24, 2006.

1. Boober

Boober New Member

Hello - I had a membrane sweep yesterday at 40 + 5. Was very hopeful of spontaneous labour, but despite contractions last night I woke up and felt nothing this morning. No bleeding, no broken waters. How long should I wait before writing it off as unsuccessful?
    Also, has anyone else found that a sweep made them feel really peculiar? Not the pain - just mentally and emotionally. I swear it felt like someone had given me hallucinogenic drugs! Not that I'd know... :wall: [/b]

2. Yvonne

Yvonne Well-Known Member

Hi Hun,

I was told that if a sweep will work it will be in the 48 hours after it was done.
    But they do it just to help your body along the road to labour, i.e help your cervix to dilate and efface etc.

Sound advice i got of a few women on here (they got from thier MW) after a sweep have intercourse with your partner at least twice. The sperm contains prostaglandin which helps kick off the labour hormone.

Hope this helps

Yvonne xx

3. v11kae

v11kae Well-Known Member

The day i had my membrae sweep my labour started later that night. I was unncomfortable straight after though!