Membrane Sweep

skimpy

Reaction score
If offered, are you going for a membrane sweep?

Do they work? Does anyone have experience of them?

Just curious, got MW on Tuesday and not been offered one, and don't yet know if I will ask for one...

Thanks

I'm not sure. I have midwife on Wednesday, day after my due date. I'm not sure if she'll offer me one. I don't know if I'd like to have one. I've heard they can be quite painful. >__< I know compared to labour they wouldn't be, but that's what the epidural is for! haha XD

I had one at 40+2 and it didn't work and then another at 40+10 and that one did the trick :) x

I am already booked in for one on the 18th Nov if bubs hasbt arrived by then! I'll try anything to get bubs moving. Midwife said its about 65% success rate and if it works it will work withing 48 hrs. x

im seeing the midwife for a sweep on wednesday at 40+2. in my opinion if it helps its worth it lol xx

The general opinion is that they are the most effective at 40+10. I went for one at 40+8 and she couldn't even reach my cervix. I found it quite uncomfortable when they tried it again in hospital before they started my induction but not unbearable. I would have it done again if needed.

I've never had one, but by then I think anything that could help, even if painfull if well worth a try Hun X

I had one done at hosp before they let me go and had sex with DH when I got home and I was in labour within 48hrs so it worked for me at 41+5!

Hope this helps my one at 41 weeks didn't work x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The general opinion is that they are the most effective at 40+10. I went for one at 40+8 and she couldn't even reach my cervix. I found it quite uncomfortable when they tried it again in hospital before they started my induction but not unbearable. I would have it done again if needed.

I had one at 40 + 10 and in labour within 48 hours! Agree it's uncomfortable but it's definitely worth a shot x

I have 3! One at 40+1, one at 41+1 and one at 41+ 5. None of which worked but they did bring on some contractions, just didnt make them strong enough.

BUT I would have them again lol.

If i go over then I will be prepared to have anything done to try and get the baby out.

i had one and would say it started some mild contrations and the loss of my plug but it wasnt directly resulting in joshuas arrival. however i had it at 38+5 and josh arrived at 40+4 but i lost my plug like i say! would deffo do it again xx

ps it didnt hurt me at all, they did an internal on my induction date which was really uncomfortable but the sweep was fine, just have to remember to remain relaed!!

I am booked in for one 3 days after my due date - fingers crossed I dont need this. What exactly does it entail? I not really sure. Couldnt be as bad as the internal I had a while back she had man hands!!

the mw basically puts her fingers inside you, finds you cervix and if possible slips a finger in and sweeps round the inside to separate the sac from the wall (hope that makes sense). it didnt hurt me just remember to keep your body calm xx

the mw basically puts her fingers inside you, finds you cervix and if possible slips a finger in and sweeps round the inside to separate the sac from the wall (hope that makes sense). it didnt hurt me just remember to keep your body calm xx

Sounds delightful!!lol

oh it is.... the first time i lost my dignity....pracise for the real thing...

Thanks Girls, so if she offers on at apppointment (unlikely) it will prob not work til i'm actually overdue...

will probably hold off then until i'm past 40 weeks, no point in getting it, going home, having pains that lead nowhere when i have a toddler to look after :lol:

i got mine today.. really nervous acctually.. 41 weeks.. fingers crossed it works!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back