Measuring Big

BexPountain

Reaction score
Hello,

This is my first post and I was just hoping for some advice and similar experiences.

I am measuring just over 4 weeks ahead. I am 38 plus 5 days pregnant and I am measuring 43 weeks! I have had two diabetic tests (the last once was 3 weeks ago) and they have come back completely fine. Although today the midwife thought I had a trace of glucose in my sample. She has referred me to have another scan on Monday to see how big the baby is.

I know this might sound native as this is my first baby, but I am not concerned about having to be induced or having a C-Section I am just so worried that something else is wrong with my baby. Its really upsetting me.

I've even called the delivery suite who were lovely and asked if my babies father was big (Which he is - 16 stone and 6ft 2in) and she said that our baby is obviously going to take after her daddy!! And that they are not too concerned about big babies!! I know I am being silly but I can't stop worrying and wondered if anyone could offer any words of advice.

Thank you xx

Last edited:
Hi and welcome to the forum!!

I measured between 4 and 6cms bigger during my third trimester. I had a growth scan at 24 weeks and was found to have excess fluid. I was signed off work for 4 weeks and was told to rest plenty. I had fortnightly scans and the fluid went down once I had rested.
I was induced at 39+6 (eventually had my baby at 40+1). He was a big boy at 9lbs 5ozs but completely healthy and most of the time is a pleaure to look after!! I should mention that I was induced due to high blood pressure, not because of the fluid or size of baby.
My OH is 6ft 4 and is at least 18 stone so my LO is obviously taking after his Daddy.
Is this the first time you have measured big during your pregnancy? Your baby could have moved and be laying in a position which makes you bigger.
I wouldnt worry too much about the measurements as they aren't an exact science, infact at one of my consultant appointments a trainee doctor measured me 4 cms smaller than my consultant did.
I was also told that big babies are easier to deliver because smaller babies can come out with the hands by their heads etc and gravity helps the bigger babies out easier!
Try not to worry too much. I know it's easier said than done, but it be good for you or your baby if you get worked up. xxx

Thank you for your quick and helpful post! This forum is great already!
I have been measuring ahead since 34 weeks but only about 2 1/2 weeks. (this was the reason I had the second diabetic test). We also had a scan at 31 weeks (as I was worried about movements) and the fluid and everything seemed pretty normal then. As you can see I am a worrier and your help is much appreciated xx

Last edited:
Pregnancy is such a worrying time hun. Believe me you still worry lots when the baby arrives!!
Let us know how you get on with you scan on Monday.

xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back