meal ideas please!!!

Suzie and Faith

Reaction score
I'm finally getting this cooking thing! Lol.

So far I've made:
sausage casserole
kidney bean tacos
pasta bake (with cheese, bacon, veg)
bakewell tart
bread and butter pudding
garlic bread

and tonight we're having toad in the hole with mash and veg (hoping it'll work!)

I'm still a novice - in the end i want to have a long list of meals that are healthy and normal that i can cook for us without the use of too many packets!

any ideas/recipes?????

Tonight we're having Roast Butternut Squash Risotto. Its dead easy.

Cut the squash into chunks, discard the seeds & roast the butternut in the oven with a drizzle of olive oil (leave skin on the squash, as its really hard to peel but goes lovely and soft once roasted then you can eat it)

Make the risotto. I use half a pack of rice for 2 people (but we are greedy).
Chop an onion and cook in a little oil, add 1 clove of crushed garlic and cook till onion translucent.
Add the rice (I use arborio or carnorli rice, its specifically for risotto) ensuring all grains are coated in the oil from the pan.
Add 1 glass of white wine and cook till absorbed (don't forget to stir so the rice doesn't stick)
Make up some stock probably about a litre, I use chicken bovril its really low in fat.
Add 1 ladle of stock at a time and stir the stock till it has been absorbed, then add another.
Do this for about 15 minutes then check the rice to see if its cooked it should be still a little firm in the middle and not too soft.
If its ready stir in the squash, add seasoning
Take off the heat and stir in grated parmesan (I like a lot about 56g) this makes it really creamy.

Tomorrow we are having burgers. Get some minced beef and add whatever flavouring you like. I usually add seasoning and a chilli. Shape into rounds and grill. serve on a breadcake with salad and cheese. You can do any flavour, mustard powder, onion, garlic, you can buy jar of schwartz steak seasoning that works really well, or even BBQ seasoning. I usually get 4 burgers out of a 450g pack of mince and try and keep the burgers quite thick. They dont need much cooking about 2-3 minutes on each side.

Yesterday I made fish goujons and chips. Use whatever fish you want yesterday I used Coley cause its cheap and quite light in flavour. Ask the fish monger to skin and bone it for you, i usually get 400g for 2 of us. Pre-heat oven to 200 oc. Cut fish into goujons. Take 2 baking potatoes and cut into chips. Drizzle with olive oil and then give a good shake of the tray to ensure all chips coated and put in oven. Take 4 slices of bread and in a food processor whizz up into breadcrumbs, you can buy these if you don't want to make your own. Grate the rind from a lemon and add to breadcrumbs. Beat an egg. Place the crumbs onto a plate and same with the egg onto a separate plate. Take a goujon and cover with the egg then roll in the crumbs and set onto a baking tray. When all fish done drizzle with olive oil (I have my oil in a spray its much easier than drizzling) and bake in oven for the last 10-12 minutes of the chips baking time which will take approx 25-30 mins, or until crispy & golden brown.

sounds lush, i love making shepards pies, spag bol from fresh,

OOO I love throwing beef & chicken into a saucepan along with a few herbs and really thick gravy then dishing it up with pre cooked jack spuds, sliced then fried up the next day!!

Not exactly healtyhy but lush!!!

:hug: :hug:
thanks guys! sounds fantastic! I think we'll have risotto on thursday :) woooooo i'll have a go at the other things too, they sound yum!

you cantgo wrong with things like spag bol,shepherds pie,meatballs,chilli.tuna fishcakes are yummy too.

helsekia said:
you cantgo wrong with things like spag bol,shepherds pie,meatballs,chilli.tuna fishcakes are yummy too.

oo im coming to yours for tea lol xx

we had home made burgers lol.tomorow its chicken n leek soup :D

I'm making OH tuna and sweetcorn lasagne this week!!! I am the worst cook ever so i'll see how it goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back