maternity leave entitlement

Tara & Liam

Reaction score
Hi all

I have just been to occupational health and i have been told that i may be entitled to 9 months maternity leave as it is being changed now. does anyone know anything about this?

xx

As far as I know it is still 6 months [26 weeks] paid [some full pay and some stat. mat pay set by govt] and then an option to have an additional 6 months unpaid..

have a look at http://www.dti.gov.uk/er/matleafr.htm

I don't think it is changing but it does seem to depend on how long you have worked somewhere and what your own contract with your company states as there should be a section about maternity in there somewhere [I am going to rummage around at home tonight to find mine!!]

Let us know if you find anything out that differs from the 6 months thing.

x[/url]

Hiya Davina

You are right, the Maternity leave period is to be extended to 9 months, but this does not come into effect until April 2007.

The Chancellor announced in the Pre Budget Report in December 2004 that the period of paid maternity leave will increase to 9 months from April 2007. The Chancellor has set a goal of 12 months paid maternity leave by the end of the next Parliament (in 2010).

There was also a change made to Statutory Maternity Pay. It was increased from £100 to £106 a week from April 2005.

From April 2005, the £50 a week tax free limit for childcare vouchers will apply to the face value of the vouchers and associated administrative cost and service charges will also be exempt from tax and NICs.

Hope this helps

That's good news for future pregnancies.. and the increase of £6 is better than nothing...

Rachael do you know where I can get that info from as not sure my Boss would be very convinced unless I showed him something in writing!!?

Thanks!

Hiya Anna Marie

Try this link: http://www.tiger.gov.uk/cgi-bin/maternity_03.pl its a government run site and it quotes the SMP rate as £106. You have to enter the Estimated due date of the child, then answer the 3 questions on how long you have worked for your employer, then a "Maternity Rights" page is displayed. Scroll down the page and it says "You will probably qualify for 26 weeks Statutory Maternity Pay (SMP)
SMP is 90% of your salary for the first 6 weeks and £106.00 for the remaining 20 weeks or 90% of your average earnings if this is less than £106.00. SMP is paid by your employer"

Hope this helps

It does depend on your employer!

I'm entitled to the usual above as Rachael quoted... but also can take a further 6 months after this at the £106 a week rate! I work for the Royal Bank of Scotland! good huh? but I don't think I'll be able to take advantage of this as we don't think we'll be able to cope financially on that for too long. am looking at 5-6 months maternity leave! :) Lucky for me My mum lives 15 minutes away and has agreed to take care of the little one while I return to work! :D thanks Mum!

Angela

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back