Maternity leave & bad weather

Rachel1509

Reaction score
A few weeks ago I decided on my maternity leave date - Beginning of February which makes me about 35 weeks as my due date is 9th March.
My OH keeps suggesting and nagging that I take my ML a bit earlier though in case there's bad weather. Thing is, my workplace are a bit strict. During an earlier conversation when I was just started my 2nd trimester, they told me that my job is extremely important and that sometimes, sacrifices need to be made to ensure I get to work and do my job. I'm expected to get to work despite anything that gets in the way (such as public transport strikes, bad weather etc), so basically if it was to snow so bad that the buses stop.. I've got to walk to work - baring in mind I live 2 bus rides away and will be heavily pregnant when it's winter time!
It's also getting quite stressful and I don't tend to get on with my manager, so taking it earlier would be nice, but it's just the money situation that bothers me.

I'm not sure whether to just leave it as it is, or change it and take it earlier just in case?
Does anyone have any psychic abilities to predict bad weather? :good:

Ha I do psychic reads hun but the weather and the future is out of the question.

I'm in the same boat as I do home care and so the pressure to get to our clients is immense and they need us the most in bad weather......so I am taking all of my annual leave (28 days) in Feb and starting ML in March. My AL goes from october to october so by the time I go back I'll be entitled to it again

February is nearly always the worst month for weather and they don't grit down many of the roads I travel

Could you not take annual leave?

Well according to news we are predicted a bad winter. And as for sacrafices nothing is more important than you and your baby so if worst came to worst and weather was bad and there was no transport they would have to cope as i wouldnt suggest walking far distances in bad weather. I fell at 33 weeks getting out of the car on the drive walking to the front door and it really hurt my bump xx

A few weeks ago I decided on my maternity leave date - Beginning of February which makes me about 35 weeks as my due date is 9th March.
My OH keeps suggesting and nagging that I take my ML a bit earlier though in case there's bad weather. Thing is, my workplace are a bit strict. During an earlier conversation when I was just started my 2nd trimester, they told me that my job is extremely important and that sometimes, sacrifices need to be made to ensure I get to work and do my job. I'm expected to get to work despite anything that gets in the way (such as public transport strikes, bad weather etc), so basically if it was to snow so bad that the buses stop.. I've got to walk to work - baring in mind I live 2 bus rides away and will be heavily pregnant when it's winter time!
It's also getting quite stressful and I don't tend to get on with my manager, so taking it earlier would be nice, but it's just the money situation that bothers me.

I'm not sure whether to just leave it as it is, or change it and take it earlier just in case?
Does anyone have any psychic abilities to predict bad weather? :good:

hey hun they cannot force you to go into work when weather is bad and if they say you have to thenthey are breaking the law! last year when i really badly snowed most of our staff couldnt get into work and your company will just have to deal with it! you'rs ad your baby's safety comes first!!

if my work told me i had to come into work and walk through the snow i'd tell them to shove it up their arse because no way in hell am i ever endangering my baby just to do a shift at work!

wouldnt worry too much hun xx

Last edited:
I'll be leaving Week beginning 30th Jan (so i think this is the same time as you). If it snows during the month of Jan i will NOT be walking to work (atm its only 20minute walk) so i think just leave your ML as it is and if it comes to snow and you can't get to work that day then deal with it then! I'm sure you wont be the only person in the country unable to get to work.

Thanks for the replies. I work in payroll you see, so if I'm not there to pay people, then they won't get paid! Thats why they're saying I basically HAVE to get there no matter what it takes, otherwise lots of people go without money! But there's no way I could walk in cold snow heavily pregnant. I wouldn't risk it myself and my OH definately wouldn't let me ever! So they'd just have to accept it I guess :)

Well I think if they desperately need you there one of the people who can drive will have to come and pick you up.
I wouldn't suggest walking in the snow even if you wasn't pregnant but byt hen you will be quite heavily pregnant so even more risk of falling down.
xx

Well you can't do anything at the moment, as it doesn't look like we are going to get any snow. If it happens it happens, the only thing to suggest, is if someone who works there has a big 4x4 that they come and get you and take you home. The more leave you take before the baby, the less you have with the baby, and that time is more important. Your work can't force you to do anything.

ur work should think about what to do in the event of bad weather and people in payroll not being able to get there. worst comes to worse people might get paid a few days late- the workplace should have a policy on how to manage that sitiuation, if they dont, suggest to them they do!

you have rights as a pregnant woman and they should assess risk in the workplace. that includes doing anything that endangers u, and walking in snow definitely is one of these risks. No way im going to work if it snows, not risking slipping. They dont like it, they can take it to tribunal with me. Baby safety is more important than how unhappy a boss is.

Seeing as you are leaving to go on mat leave anyway soon, surely they must have someone else trained up in payroll to do this?? I assume people will be getting paid even though you are off having a baby??!!! If not already trained may be you could start this earlier so if the worst came to the worst they could go in and do the wages instead of you? Silly people, at the end of the day, baby is number one priority so they can go bugger off!!! Heavy snow = day at home!!

Seeing as you are leaving to go on mat leave anyway soon, surely they must have someone else trained up in payroll to do this?? I assume people will be getting paid even though you are off having a baby??!!! If not already trained may be you could start this earlier so if the worst came to the worst they could go in and do the wages instead of you? Silly people, at the end of the day, baby is number one priority so they can go bugger off!!! Heavy snow = day at home!!

Nope. I've got no idea what their plans are for my job while on maternity leave. Although they did tell me a bit ago they needed to know my leave plans (this was before I decided on them) so they could get someone in and I have to train them up!

Was just a bit worried about been at work one day, then a massive snow fall happening so all buses stop and nobody can drive in it! Scares me the thought of been stranded!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JenniferU
Back