Maternity leave and temporary contract?

rubyraven

Reaction score
Hi everybody,
I work for my local council and have done since 1st of June this year, I am on a temporary contract for 1 year with the possibilty of an extension after that.
My baby will be due in August and I'm really worried about telling my work, will that give them an excuse not to extend my contract or would I still be eligable for maternity pay?
My boss sent me an e-mail the other day to tell me there was a new job coming up in a different department to mine but a similar role and which was a permanent contract, if I were to apply for this job would the change still count as continuous employment and not starting from day 1 again?
Sorry for the complicated questions I'm just feeling a bit anxious, any advice is very much appreciated, thank you x

I work for a local council, I was too on a temporary contract until 31/03/2011. We went in to a review august 2010 prior to me starting mat leave on 22/10/2010, in December as part of the review I was offered "suitable employment" in the form of a permenant contract :) maternity leave gives you rights. I'd join a union, gmb helped me a fair bit.

You have continuous employment within a council from one job to another Good luck xx

Congratulations on getting the permanent contract :)
So I might be ok? I am thinking to myself it would be pretty bad if they ended my contract when I'm 7 months pregnant when prior to that they had been hinting about an extension :/
At what point did you tell your employer that you were pregnant?x

I told them at 9 weeks. They where fab. You get half a day off for appointments so my flexi went through the roof!

You might be ok. I always had the impression that it's a tribunal waiting to happen if they make you redundant now when prior to that you were told it was getting extended.

In my case it wasn't getting extended. I always expected to be gone by march but I'm still here. I really needed the enhanced mat pay too so I enjoyed my ten months off :) try not to worry as positive vibes are better xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back