marriage / benefits

charlotte_

Reaction score
i currently live alone with zach, i claim income support & housing benefits. i am in a relationship with zach's father, but we couldn't afford to live together without the benefits, and we couldn't get the benefits if he lives with us (he works), it's a really shitty situation, but it's our only option.
anyway, we went to register zach's birth on friday & we kept saying 'shall we just go & get married now?' but we ended up not doing because we didn't have enough cash on us :oops: :lol:

my question is, if we were to get married but still didn't live together would it effect my benefits?

i think it would effect them hun as on the forms the questions are
if you are married or live as you are
so you would have to tell them you are married and i think that they would se it that if you are married he should suport you completly weather you live together or not.
its a reaqlly rubbish situation hun but if he does live with you, you still get your child benifit child tax credits and he could also get working tax credit so it might not be that bad
xx

Yes it would affect your benefits and depending on how much he earns would make a difference in how much money you can claim in benefits......

You cannot claim Income Support if you are married and your husband is working!
You are also NOT entitled to any discount on Council Tax if you are married, despite where your husband lives!

I think the real benefit of living together and potentially marriage would have is to give you and Zach some security in your lives, and he gets to grow up with both parents permanently there!

Its a tough one though and you need to have a chat with the DWP people and see exactly what you are entitled to if your situation changes!

yes when i started work after i got married DH was made redundant and they refused to give him income support and we had to pay 90% of our rent even though we struggled so much we had no choice but to take out loans and cards we would never be able to pay back until he started working again. Its Fooked up. :hug: there excuse was if we are married i am responsible for him and regardless of our situation i am legally responsible not them... :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back