MAMMY OR MUMMY? what do you think?

Geordie&Bairn

Reaction score
To me im Colliers MAMMY
Im a geordie and thats what we call our MAM'S ...MAM
And id like Collier to call me MAM
but James disagrees he thinks being down hear in the south means Collier should think of me as MUMMY
I really (may sound silly) do not wont this
James reckons Collier will be confused as James will call me Colliers Mummy
and so will everyone else BUT ME
But i feel this is silly
its like saying im MAMMY to Collier but to others my name is Sarah.
and this will confuse him
so why cant he be ok with calling me mammy???
I may live down south but im a through and through Northerner and ive always thought id be called MAM by my child its just natural for me to think this

Collier may natural decide to call me mum and i will be ok with this
as id not force him to change it

but James telling me not to really made me :x

I know how excited u r just thinking what will ur baby call u.
James shouldn't choose what u shall be called by collier but I think once he calls u MUM or MAM u'll be over the moon :hug:

maldives said:
I know how excited u r just thinking what will ur baby call u.
James shouldn't choose what u shall be called by collier but I think once he calls u MUM or MAM u'll be over the moon :hug:

Yeah i know your right Maldives
once i hear Collier say MAm or Mum for the first time i'll be over the moon.
shouldnt get all silly over it
:oops: :rotfl:
sarah

Maybe the fairest thing is you refer to yourself as mammy, then when colliers older he can decide for himself anyway.
Your OH can still call you mummy if he wants, I can't imagine it would be too confusing for Collier to have two different words. Some kids get bought up with two different languages.

:hug: :hug: :hug:
Refer to yourself as mammy to Collier and let James say mummy and see what Collier picks up on. Either way i'm sure you'll just love hearing him speak!
Mammy is rather cute!

It really is up to no one but yourself.

I am the other way round to you - a southerner in the North East.
As you know, the norm is Mammy, but I am going with Mummy because that is what I am used to.

It is all personal choice, you should definately be called what feels right for you! :hug:

Thanks everyone :hug: :wave:
i will refer myself as Mammy till Collier is old enough to chose himself what to call me
and i'l be happy with his choice
:D
james can shut up :shakehead: :shakehead: :rotfl: :rotfl:

sarah :wave:

He should call you Mammy! its part of your geordie dialect, dont let him csll you mummy just because you live in the south.
:D

I agree... you call yourself mammy, let James call you mummy and see which he picks up on.

My OH is dutch so will be speaking dutch to our LO and won't be dad, he'll be papa. But because I'll be speaking English to the baby I'll refer to him as daddy!

Yeah...I agree with the others...see what your Lo picks up on. Because 'mammy' is part of your dilect you shouldn't have to change it. Kids are clever-I don't think he will be confused if james uses 'mummy' as well.
i don't think OH's always see how little things like this are important to us!!! :shakehead:

If you want to be Mammy and James refer to you as Mummy to Collier it'll be fine.

Think about it, he'll grow up hearing both and will adjust accordingly.

I've cared for many children who grew up speaking two languages and had different words for both parents in both languages. They did just fine using Mummy, Daddy and Papa and Mamma :)

I'm sure Collier will be fine with two different words for you in English :hug: You use the one you are happy with :hug:

Don't worry about him getting confusion :hug:
Children understand the term mum and mummy to be the same thing so I don't see a problem with you being mammy and mummy.

hello

I'm all for Mammy and Mam as I'm a geordie too and it sounds so soft and nice, the irish say mam as well, me mam, has a ring doesn't it.

my hubby has southern accent too even tho we live in scotland and he slips into saying Mummy but we will see, whatever she finds easier I guess, I love the idea of being 'Mam' tho x

Hah i can see a competition arising here...

Both you and James competing to which one he says... :moon:

unfortunately he'll call you what he wants too, so i'm currently bracing myself to be called MU as thats what the brisl people call their mums.

My parents are northerners, my dads from newcastle area and my mums from durham, and i was born in southshields. So my parents are used to saying mam, (im pretty sure they still do say mam) but we all call her mum. It's to do with where we live, an what everyone else calls their mums (unfortunately)
Luckily thay have managed to stop any of us calling her MU

lfc_sarah said:
Hah i can see a competition arising here...

Both you and James competing to which one he says... :moon:

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
i'll win he has NO chance :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
its like that song i say tomarto you say tomato

If he insists on referring to you as Mum instead of Mam in front of the baby insist on calling him "Dud" instead of "Dad" :rotfl: :rotfl:

daftscotslass said:
If he insists on referring to you as Mum instead of Mam in front of the baby insist on calling him "Dud" instead of "Dad" :rotfl: :rotfl:

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
oh that tickled me oh it the funnies thing ive heard all day

thanks for that :lol: :D i will use it actually i cant wait to use it it will Drive James mad
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

I bet Collier will call you "Mammy" and pick up on you preferring this.

I'm a little confused though... I'm a "Mom" which has changed from "Mommy" or "Momma" when they were younger. Does no one else use Mommy?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mara14
Back