Maiden name as first name?

Selly

Reaction score
Hi!

Going through a divorce which should be finalised soon and my boyfriend and I are expecting to marry, probably after our baby has arrived.

We're giving the baby my bf's surname, which I expect to take in the future, although will just revert to my maiden name at work.

my maiden name is a classic boy name and so we thought it would be nice to use this as our boys first name and then he has my bfs surname as his surname.

Just wondered if anyone thought this was weird?! Don't want people to think we were just lazy in naming our son! As we like the name in any case!

Xxx

If you like the name go for it. You could also use it as a middle name. I have my mums maiden name as a middle name.

My cousin did this and I actually thought it was a good idea! xx

Its a nice idea. My only reservation is when i married my husband for various reasons we decided to take his mothers maiden name as our surname (one being how awful my name went with it lol) so if that were the case and its not very likely it would mean your son would have a strange name. Of course it depends on what the new surname is too!

Hi!

Going through a divorce which should be finalised soon and my boyfriend and I are expecting to marry, probably after our baby has arrived.

We're giving the baby my bf's surname, which I expect to take in the future, although will just revert to my maiden name at work.

my maiden name is a classic boy name and so we thought it would be nice to use this as our boys first name and then he has my bfs surname as his surname.

Just wondered if anyone thought this was weird?! Don't want people to think we were just lazy in naming our son! As we like the name in any case!

Xxx

I understand from a former colleague, that in some Indian cultures it is expected that when a woman gets married, she actually keeps her fathers name, she doesn't change it to match her husbands. However, when they have a child (especially boys) the mothers 'maiden' name becomes the sons middle name, and the dads name is the surname.

So lets say my name was Jane Doe, and I married Mister Right, I'd continue to be called Jane Doe, but my firstborn son would be called John Doe Right.

Does that make sense?

So yes, it's perfectly acceptable!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
candigrams
Back