Low Placenta

xNataliex

Reaction score
Had my 20 week scan last week and been told I have a low placenta (lying low at the back of my uterus). Anyone else been told at this stage they have this and what was the advice from the hospital?

I have scared myself by looking on the internet :(

Thanks,
Nat xx

Try not to worry too much! I had this at my 20 week scan too and they said it is quite common and it will more than likely move out of the way as you grow it will most likely move up and out of the way!! Have they booked you another scan at 34 weeks?
I had one booked to check at 34 weeks but had some bleeding at 31 weeks. They scanned me just in case but it was nothing to do with the placenta it was something else entirely and the placenta had moved out of the way!! They told me it was rare for the placenta to stay too low so try not to worry!! :hug:

Hello, I was also told at my 20 week scan that I have a low lying placenta. The sonographer told me to make another appointment for 34 weeks to see if it has risen. He said that it normally does. My mum also had this and her placenta rose. If you think about your womb being like a balloon and as it gets bigger a specific spot on it would move. Don't worry, a lot of people have a low lying placenta and they normally rise as you get bigger. If not the worse that can happen is that you would have to have a ceasarean but that is quite unlikely unless it is almost covering your cervix.

:hug:

Hi,

I had a low lying P too with my lad, don't worry, odds are it will move up.

Don't worry at all.

When I was having ds1, I was also told at my 20 week scan that the placenta was lying low, and was told that it wasn't usually a problem as it usually moves up as the uterus grows. I had another scan booked for 34 weeks and it showed that the placenta had moved right up and out of the way.

Have you been told you will have another scan at around 34 weeks? If not, I would speak to your mw to check that you need one.

HTH

Heather x

Yea, check they will re scan you..I never questioned it, been for sweep today as I am overdue 1 week, and the babies head isnt engaged, they think its due to low lying placenta...got to go and be rescanned wednesday.

I am gutted, wished they had scanned me earlier, and I would prob of had my baby by now :x

Natalie, I too had this with my first, and like most of the girls on here it moved up as I got bigger. Like you tho I had worried myself silly. Worst case scenario you may need a ceasarian if it stays low. This made me a bit sad until I really thought about it and decided if that was the solution, I could think of many worse things that could happen.
Anyway I've now been told with bub no 2 that I have the same thing again. This time I'm not gonna lose sleep over it. As per previous advice get it checked out again later on and chances are it will have moved up. All the best xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back