• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Low Blood Pressure

Becky

Reaction score
Hello,
I've always had blood pressure that was on the low side of normal usually about 110/58 even when I was pregnant with Lucy and nothing was ever mentioned other than it was within normal ranges.

This week the midwife commented that it was lower than she expected (100/50) and was I having any symptoms? Well no I haven't, I've actually been feeling quite well.

Has anyone else had low blood pressure in pregnancy? I assume that low BP can be just as bad or dangerous as high?

Hiya Becky,

Mine has always been pretty low and at my last appointment it was 86/44 - I was quite shocked and wondered why I wasn't constantly fainting! But the midwife wasn't concerned as it was the low side of normal for me.

High blood pressure is much more of a concern in general, as well as in pregnancy. Low blood pressure may cause fainting and dizziness but generally people with low blood pressure are very healthy and much less at risk of strokes / heart attacks etc. Most athletes have very low blood pressure, as do communities who live at high altitudes. And I read that people with low blood pressure generally live longer! x

Ive got Low BP (dont know the numbers though as I dont tend to pay much attention - I always forget what they mean!) My GP said it would make me more susceptible (sp?) to fainting while PG and that I should take care to stand up slowly from sitting or lying down, but that it was not as bad as having high BP and that there was nothing they could do about it unless it went dangerously low (although I dunno what a dangerously low level is?!)

I always had low BP in pregnancy, usually around 100 systolic/top number, when I was about 6 weeks it went down to 80/40 and nobody seemed to be concerned.

Thanks a lot, I feel much better now!

Ooh and I might live a nice long life too! :D

Ive been having terrible blackouts and my blood pressure is constant at 90/60 the MW GP and consultant have all said that this may contribute to the blackouts but they are pleased with the rate as its constant rather than reducing dramatically. Low BP is always prefered due to pre-eclamsia risk associated with high BP.

i was told BP is lower than usual in pregnancy for some reason. low BP is dangerous too, but not AS dangerous as high BP i believe, especially when pregnant u should worry bout high BP. the numbers mean different things, one is "systolic" and one "diastolic" or something like that and correc me if im wrong someone but i thought the second number is the more important one u need to worry bout more :think:

yeah trix is right the bottom number is the one too watch
i had high bp when i was pregnant the bottom one went over 100 everyone was panicking as it can cause a stroke or fit if its too high so lower is definatley better dont worry about it hun

I always have lowish BP and when Im pregnant it gets lower!
When I was pg with my first, I got off a bus and couldnt see at all! Luckily my sis was with me! I was very dizzy and totally blind! After a few minutes rest I got better and the MW told me it was because my BP was low (luckily I was getting off the bus to see the MW lol) I just have to be careful in the shower or bath (as that affects me badly) and moving too fast i.e getting up or going up the stairs !

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnastasiaKh
Back