Losing weight/weaning

Kim

Reaction score
Well as I posted not long ago, Rubie has not been taking much milk at all lately. I went to get her weighed today and she has lost 1.5 oz in a fortnight :( My HV said she may not be taking her milk because she has simply lost interest and she suggested it may be a sign that she is ready to be weaned. I have been giving her tases of solids, but only as and when. But she said I should give her baby rice with pureed fruit for breakfast and a yogurt before bed (for the calcium). I feel so bad, I wish I had given her more solids before now, I feel that I have starved her :(

Kim, you haven't starved her. Seren has had a dip in her weight as she has become a lot more mobile and active, as I bet Rubie has, its normal at around this age. Now you are aware of it you can now up her calories, Rubie always looks healthy and alert so she has not been starved. (((Hugs)))

eva isnt keen on her milk because of the heat.

someone told me to put some of the powdered formula in with food if she doesnt drink her bottle. seems to be a good idea.

xx

Kim as I posted on the other discussion, there is a bub at my group that has lost weight 2 weeks in a row (2.5oz this week) and he's been weaned for at least 2 months, weaning isn't always the answer. Especially going straight onto 2 meals a day as I would have thought that the formula has more calories in it than baby rice and pureed fruit.

The reason she said to do this is because if I don't give her something extra she won't be taking enough as she point blank refuses to take more than about 15oz of formula per day. She said a yogurt will give her the calcium she needs and the baby rice is made with milk anyway. She just seems to have lost interest in milk.

:( Just read my previous post and see I didn't use any smilies, sometimes they help to convey a different point iykwim. Wasn't having a go :) HV also advised mum of bub that's losing weight to give him yoghurt but she found a lot of them are high in sugar. It just seemed like your HV was trying to get you to rush her onto 2 meals a day. How much does she weigh?

aww Kim, only just seen this post

Coby had the same, i posted about him dropping from the 75th line to the 25th and that was coz i wasnt giving him enough soilds.

Rubie will be just fine tho babes, i know its hard coz i freaked right out, but now Coby is back up on the 75th line and eating like a pig lol

just take it day by day and see how shes goes, and dont listen to the HV, they really annoy me, you know your baby best, trust your feelings

xxxx

Hey hun , dont worry she will gain the weight soon enough you definetely havent starved her, Jamie has recently lost 1lb so know how you feel its upsetting :(

I just want to point out that my hv is fantastic, i haven't got a bad word to say about her. she wasn't pressuring me to do anything she was just advising and did say let rubie guide me. she also asked to see us next week to see how she's coming on. i think she just wanted to make sure she was getting some food in her because at the moment she is not eating well. she will be 6 months in 10 days anyway so it's hardly early weaning.

Kina - I didn't take offence at all :D

I talked to my HV yesterday about Brody not being as interested in milk.
She suggested custard made with formula, aswell as adding as much milk as I can to his solids.

Kim, this is very normal, when she's settled onto solids in a few weeks you can start to add all kinds of stuff like chees etc to get her dairy intake up.

last week Eva had some yoghurts called 'milky pots' by bléndina.

hope they didnt have too much sugar. I've thrown the packaging away and cant find anything on the net about it. eva loved them though! The were in the supermarket near all the baby biscuits and fruit pureés.

x

Kim said:
I just want to point out that my hv is fantastic, i haven't got a bad word to say about her. she wasn't pressuring me to do anything she was just advising and did say let rubie guide me. she also asked to see us next week to see how she's coming on. i think she just wanted to make sure she was getting some food in her because at the moment she is not eating well. she will be 6 months in 10 days anyway so it's hardly early weaning.

Kina - I didn't take offence at all :D

Sorry, I get all up tight when HVs are mentioned as the ones I've encountered are pro weaning at 16 weeks! :shock:

My HV is all for waiting til 6 months unless they show signs they are ready before then. As Roo is 6 months next week she thought it would be a good idea to give it a try :D

I love my HV, is there no one else who likes theirs???

Mine is OK, but useless when it comes to weaning/breastfeeding advice.

Hey Kim. Just saw this post, unfortunately as usual i dont have any advice, but Roo couldnt be any healthier, and you defo havent starved her babe. I hope she will enjoy rice and yoghurts. Wooohhooo 6 months already,

yes the Health visitor I see at feel good friday (a mum and baby group) is lovely, she always gives good advice, doesnt judge you or anything she's great! The HV I used to see at the clinic I didnt like as much, so I dont bother going anymore.

It feels alot more oersonal aswell becuase shes there the whole session to talk to you and she sits with the small group, whereas at the clinic it was always busy and really rushed, I felt like they were just telling u anything so they cud move onto the next person!

rosieroo said:
Sorry, I get all up tight when HVs are mentioned as the ones I've encountered are pro weaning at 16 weeks! :shock:

most advise 4months for formula fed babies and 6months for breastfed babies don't they? Why do you feel mad at HV that are pro 16weeks? :?

Kim said:
My HV is all for waiting til 6 months unless they show signs they are ready before then. As Roo is 6 months next week she thought it would be a good idea to give it a try :D

I love my HV, is there no one else who likes theirs???

I love mine too, she has been fantastic with my PND although we have disagreed on a few occasions but we just discuss it. I also speak with another HV who has been fantastic for bfing advice. She bf her babies so knows what it is like and has helped me loads and boosted my confidence. Am greedy having 2 lol.

most advise 4months for formula fed babies and 6months for breastfed babies don't they? Why do you feel mad at HV that are pro 16weeks?

The advice that I have read is 6 months for ff and boobie fed babies. My HV says that the advice is for people in poverty stricken countries even though the NHS and government also recommend 6 months for all babies. I feel annoyed at HV's that say 16 weeks as they've had the advice that people should wait for nearly 3 years yet are still really loathe to give it out. If people want to wean at 4 months then fine, but HVs should sing from the same song sheet and give the same advice. I feel that there is more advice and help for people that wean earlier than those that want to wait until 6 months in my area. If I'd had a more supportive HV then I would have waited until Ella was 6 months and not tried her at all with purees, just continued with the finger foods (research has shown they can't feed themselves properly until around 6 months anyway).

She bf her babies so knows what it is like and has helped me loads and boosted my confidence.
Lucky you. Mines a man so I can't really get much personal bf experience advice from him ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back