Lletz cone biopsy affecting pregnancy

LRN

Reaction score
Anyone else had a smear come back with severe high grade 3 (pre cancerous cells)

In 2018 this was my smear outcome and I ended up having the cell burnt away with a lletz hoop under general anaesthetic. As far as I’m aware I did have a large proportion removed and got the all clear with tests in 2019. I’m not due my next now until 2022.

I asked the nurse when having my implant removed would my procedure from 2018 cause me any problems when having another baby? She said early miscarriage but that was it.

Yesterday I had my first midwife appointment and she’s concerned about the procedure not only because of miscarriage but more so going into early labour and ive been referred for extr appointments. Consultant led care which I’ve always been midwife and the possibility of needing a stitch to hold my cervix shut!!!!

A stitch?! Whaaa??

app I can’t have a c section like I’ve asked as both previous vaginal labours have ended in special care and sepsis.
She also spoke about being steralised after labour if I really push for a c section but she advises against !!

Any advice or experiences please fill me in the good the bad the ugly I need to be fully prepared! Xx

Hi, I had this same procedure in 2011.
I already had 2 children at the time. And went on to have normal smears, and 3 more children. 2 of those c-sections for different reasons, not related to the procedure. I guess every case is different but just wanted to share my experience. :)
Good luck! :)

Reactions: LRN
Hi, I had this same procedure in 2011.
I already had 2 children at the time. And went on to have normal smears, and 3 more children. 2 of those c-sections for different reasons, not related to the procedure. I guess every case is different but just wanted to share my experience. :)
Good luck! :)
Thank you, did they look at your cervix while pregnant to check all was ok etc? X

I had lletz and a cone biopsy in 2015 and again in 2019. They are aware that I have had the procedure as they were in my last pregnancy but have not done any additional checks that I am aware of. I had a baby in 2018 and am currently 25 weeks, what I will say is I have had more spotting this time around but I’ve mentioned it to my community midwife a consultant and the dr who examined me in triage and none of them are concerned. Hope this helps x

I had lletz and a cone biopsy in 2015 and again in 2019. They are aware that I have had the procedure as they were in my last pregnancy but have not done any additional checks that I am aware of. I had a baby in 2018 and am currently 25 weeks, what I will say is I have had more spotting this time around but I’ve mentioned it to my community midwife a consultant and the dr who examined me in triage and none of them are concerned. Hope this helps x
Oh wow that surprises me then because she was so dead set on it being an issue but it wasn’t for you in 2018 and nothing being said now? I believe that’s the only reason I’m consultant led care and had a referral to the gynaecology department for a plan. I don’t suppose you remember the grade of cells? Maybe that makes a difference to how much would be missing. X

Yes lovely CIN3 high grade severe dyskariosis in 2019.

I was also really surprised as I’ve had it twice but the midwife that booked me really played it down and they don’t think it is the cause of my spotting that I get occasionally either.

It’s good they are doing additional checks that is what I wanted, they scan your cervix for the length etc before deciding on a stitch.

Yes lovely CIN3 high grade severe dyskariosis in 2019.

I was also really surprised as I’ve had it twice but the midwife that booked me really played it down and they don’t think it is the cause of my spotting that I get occasionally either.

It’s good they are doing additional checks that is what I wanted, they scan your cervix for the length etc before deciding on a stitch.
Yes that’s right, if you read your midwife notes (assuming all the same) it states 10mm lletz or the procedure twice. Ticking this gives you the referral so I really am amazed your midwife didn’t tick & refer you. I’ve had no bleeding and to be honest we didn’t talk about that so I don’t know if that could be related. I’m told labour will be very quick, both of mine have been days long once waters broke and not progressed correctly even after being induced so I’m looking forward to that possibility haha x

Yeah it’s there in my general medical history just not in my risks, I read up on it loads at the start of this pregnancy and there aren’t any NICE guidelines on it either advice seems to vary hugely by trust. Shocking really!

E2873EA8-92C3-4E4D-998D-46A75CC006C3.png

Hi i had this same procedure in 2014, we had ivf so was consultant led care anyway. but at 16 weeks pregnant they took me in for a scan to check the cervix due to the lettz. they said that depending on how much was taken away would depend if i needed a cervical stitch to prevent premature labor.
anyway scan was fine and had a baby girl full term via c-section in 2019.
Good luck hun. x

Reactions: LRN

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back