Libby hates the bath :0( (Little Update)

Emmylou

Reaction score
Libby HATES the bath at the moment - its a nightmare, I think she has slipped under water (because she has insisted on having a bath standing up since she was able to) a few times and is scared of the water now.

Its heartbreaking, she literally SCREAMS the place down. I had a bath with her on Sunday, and she was ok-ish, lots of tears but no screaming, but she wouldn't stay in the bath on her own. We started with us both in the bath fuly clothed, and playing with the toys - she wasn't ok on her won, but when I sat in with her she was ok. The I undressed her and got out the bath and she was ok, until the water went in!!

So I got in with her after we had added a bit of water, she wasn't too happy, but settled down after a minute and as long as I held her securely n my lap or stood in front of me.

When she got out & DH sat with her while I stayed in, she was fine, so I dunked my head under whilst she was watching, and she started crying, and looking all panicked. I smiled and made happy sounds, like 'Mommy's ok look', but she was so upset.

Last night we tried to just get her to play with water & she wouldn't :( That was fully dressed, with a washing up bowl of water and a few toys. My poor baby.

Has anyone else has had this with their baby?! :?

Oh no poor Libby :(

Keeley cries sometimes but not very often she mainly cries when it come to washing her hair.. i just say " its ok" and start playing with her toys :)

Sorry not much help hope it gets better soon :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

oh dear :shock: sounds like shes seen or done something concerning water. sounds like you're doing the right thing and its just a matter of perseverance. Serena hates baths and she screams the min her feet touch water as she hates being cold and wet... but sounds like libby has a legitimate phobia developing.. Tia used to be terrified of swimming pools...and it took us several Spanish summers (so she was in the pool everyday) to get her confident...but she still has some fear.... :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: Just keep going :hug: :hug: :hug:

Aaawwwwwwww BIG hugs Libby and Emmylou :hug: :hug: :hug:
Isaac's just very quiet in the bath, I think he's still making his mind up :think: I do know my best friends baby loves getting a wash in the kitchen sink, I hear its a popular choice that our mother's used, so maybe try that? Those baby tummy tub things seem popular, it might work, raise her confidence in water?
Sorry, I don't know what to suggest, maybe buy her one of those play water pits, and some new toys, let her splash about in that as she pleases, might help. Very best wishes, its awful when they get upset, really hope she settles down with it soon :hug: :hug: :hug:

Is she afraid of the swimming pool to? maybe you could try getting her used to dunking her underwater at the pool? so when/if it happens at home she isnt so panicked by it?

:hug: :hug: :hug: i know what your going through, Alana had a total phobia of water for over a year. we had to stop bathing her as it was becomming too stressful to her.

it got to the point she would freak out if there was a drop of water on the table from her beaker :wall:

she used to come in bathroom and watch us bath, but would never come near, then one day she reached into water, and from then on it got better but took a while. now i cant get her out the bloody thing :rotfl: :rotfl: just let her decide what she wants and dont make her bath as it can have a backward effect.

hope she gets past it soon :hug:

Thank you for the replies everyone.
We had a little bit of progress last night, for the near future I am just not bathing her :?
So I stood her on a towel and gave her a wash down with a flannel, which she was fine with that, she even let me wash her hair....took ages to wash the shampoo out with just a flanel mind you :lol:
After I washed her down, I bundled her up in a nice fluffy towel, and sat her on my knee and she played with a few of her bath toys in the sink (with water in it).
DH then came in and played with her toys in the sink too :lol:
And she seemed so happy that she could just play with the water and not have to get in the bath, so I feel that we finished the day with a positive water memory, crazy as that may sound, I feel its important, in case she dunked her head before and had a bad dream about water, then maybe she might have a happier dream/ final thought for the day about water.

Gonna just let her go at her own pace with it.......definitely want to try to take her swimming too :)

Lydia used to be just the same. Was really scared and would not sit down at all.

It took a while but gradually her confidence built up. She loves baths now. Sits down, swishes about, no problem.

It took a long time though, and a hell of a lot of standing-up-baths before getting to this stage though.

you can arrrange to come with me and Dylan if you want as he is very confident in the pool

Aww sweetie :hug: We had the very same thing with Ruby a few weeks ago...she too insists on standing up in the bath now and slipped for a second one day and after that she was awful at bathtime, she clung to me and howled in the water..it was heart breaking :cry: :cry: She has always loved her baths from birth so it was so upsetting for us, especially OH as he loves her bathtime.

After a few days, I got in with her and she seemed to get better every time we bathed her.

She is now happy again, and I am sure it was a phase but my heart is still in my mouth every time she goes in incase she cries again!!

Good luck, hopefully bath time will soon be fun again or you all :cheer: :hug:

Well, I have a little update for you!!
(Zoe - Libby was exactly the same as Ruby had been - she has slowly got better over the weeks, I have had a couple of baths with her, and although she's been reluctant initially she has been ok :) )

We have Valentine & Ella staying with us at the moment for a couple of days, so Libby went up to watch Ella in the bath, I then put her in with Ella and she was fine :cheer: I think seeing another baby in the bath helped, we're going to put them in the bath together again tomorrow, so I hope she is ok again.......only problem was she felt so relaxed she pooed :oops: OOps!!!!!! Sorry Ella :hug: :hug:

Only just seen this! But yay :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: Glad she has relaxed a bit......or alot! :rotfl:
:cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Hey Emmylou -

We had the same problem with our 2 year old girl Naomi, recently. She would scream the place down in the bath. For a while we tried taking turns getting in with her and we brought her swimming which she liked, because of all the splashing...which we thought a little odd seeing as she couldn't bear the bath.

Eventually I also got a lot more bath toys for her including a set of floating letters that stick to the side....the result of this along with regular visits to the pool was...she now ASKS to take a bath and cries when we say no! :roll:

So I think we went for overkill a little :lol:

Hope this helps

Sue

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111