Big baby????

TommyMonkey

Reaction score
I had my 23 week scan yesterday (which was brilliant - all healthy and as it should be - such a relief - keeping the sex a surprise).
Only one thing is alarming me slightly....the measurements are on the large side :shock: Head circumference at 23 weeks was about 22cm (I think - my notes are at home).
Sonographer mentioned this to my husband whilst I was sorting out the payment for the pictures, but she said everything is OK. I'm partly pleased as it means the baby is healthy (I would have worried much more if the baby was on the small side), but it does make me a bit apprehensive about the birth. I just assumed the baby would be small as I was about 7lb even though a week late and husband is average height (he was premature so 4lb but not sure what he would have been if gone to term).
Anyway, just wanted to know if anyone was showing big at the scan but had average weight baby, and also will I have any further checks to estimate the size of the baby?
Thanks in advance
Gemma

Hi

I had a growth scan at 29 weeks and baby was estimated at 4 pounds 9 ounces and at 39 weeks he was born at 8 pounds 14 ounces
Katrina

Mine was at the top of it's weight chart and was looking to be about 9lb even though i'm tiny, but it's evened out now to about 7lb which is ok (according to the midwife tape measure). Not had mine so can't say how heavy it came out, but I was also very scared about the thought of a huge baby.

My daughter was the opposite. She was said to be tiny (i was even given extra scans to check regularly) then she was born 8 days early at 8lb 12ozs. Ignore the info they really dont have a clue.

Also my friends daughter was 3 weeks early and she had actually had a growth scan the day before which revealed the baby to be a tiny 4-5 lbs she was born by cesarian early the next day at exactly 7lbs.

Dont worry yourself about it at all.

there is no way of telling what size your baby will be before its born. and at 23 weeks its all so diverse. Your baby may have just had a growth spurt so its larger than average now. The head circumferance is irrelevant at the moment too becasue nearer the birth when the head decends it will become smaller to get through the birth canal.

don't worry. The thing is its got to come out now its in so what the fooks the point in worrying about the size.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back