Language question

Flo1

Reaction score
Hello everyone! Our son is growing up bilingual Dutch and English. My husband spends a lot of time in the US for work so we think it's useful for our kids to know English in case they'll spend some time there with us. My husbands English is almost better than his motherlamguage, so we don't really experience trouble with this. Our son started calling his granddad 'poopa' and we always thought it was funny he had his own word for him, but now we started wondering if it wouldn't be 'normal' toddler language for English-speaking children. How do your toddlers call their grandparents? Thanks for sharing! :)

No experience yet as my lg is only 11 months, although she does say Nana and ganpie (trying to say grandad) however Loads of kids have their own special names for grandparents it's lovely. I kind of hope my little girl comes up with something herself

I think its always best to teach kids multi language the younger they are because they seem to just adapt to it. My friend and wife lives in China, she speaks Chinese and he speaks english to their son and hes had no issues - hes 7 now!

Jackson calls my mum and dad Granny and Grandad but hes been used to that since tiny. I know a few that use Bopa or Bop. Id just leave it up to baby.

xxxx

My OH is German and we speak a lot of German at home so Felix comes out with both grandma and oma, I think it's a good thing :) xo

We live in Portugal and my husband is Portuguese. I am English speaking. My husband and I mostly speek English together. He mostly speeks Portuguese with the kids and I speek in English with them. Our girl who is almost 3 speeks both languages well. She does mix up words and grammar sometimes but I think the most important thing is that both languages come naturally to her. We always called my parents granny and grandpa which she turned into nana and papa and that has stuk.

I think children find their own names for loved ones. My little boy isn't bi-lingual but still calls his grandpa bumper!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back