• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Bilingual babies

:rotfl:

I do find it handy when telemarketers call up, I tell them I am just visiting from England :lol:

:rotfl:

Maybe I should do that here, when people call that I don't want to speak to, start speaking Swedish :rotfl:

OH will be teaching LO Afrikaans so that they can have private jokes at my expense :roll: :lol:

I recognise a few words of it but generally sit staring with a blank expression when he switches!

My husband is dutch and speaks only dutch to children if we are together or if he is alone. He obv speaks english to me though.
This has been great to help me improve my dutch I can understand it quiet well but dont speak it that well. My daughter understands him but as yet only answers him in English we hope as she gets older she will start speaking it more.
BTW it did not affect the age that my daughter started to speak.

I live in Greece and babes 1st language will have to be Greek as that is where babes will be spending most of time, nursery, school etc, I will speak to babes all the time in english and will also have english books, songs, etc, my friends here have all done this and the kids whose mums do not speak much greek have better english accents than those who speak greek to them indoors, it is also important to try to teach them to read and write in the other language as well. I had some friends whose mum was French and they could speak fluent French but give them something to read and they didnt have a clue.

good luck to all of us!!!!!!

I agree with the reading etc Tuck.

I'm into books anyway and my kids laways had them and Sam already has some Swedish books.

We read him stories now and he had little red riding hood in English and Den littern princen av Brabant ...about his little Swedish prince :)

were going to speak welsh and english to emma and send her to a welsh school :D

i went to welsh school sam!! i can only count to 20 in welsh tho lol :oops: we moved down south when i was 8.

me and OH speak random french sayings to eachother when we're feeling random which Jam will prob pick up on!! :rotfl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Briguebbon
Back