Ladies who Swim

Sarah13

Reaction score
Anyone know whether you should or shouldn't do breast stroke during pregnancy? The trainer at the gym mentioned you shouldn't but I didn't think to ask why and everything I've googled is totally conflicting! Some sites say it's the best stroke as it helps your back and hips others say avoid it because of SPD which I don't have!

I plan to do more swimming now I'm starting to get a bit bigger and i mostly do breast stroke as I'm a bit of a crappy swimmer so plod along! I also read front crawl can make your torso twist too much!

What do you think, what strokes are working best for you?

with my first when i went swimming i sam on my front, all the time as it took the weight off my belly, and everywhere says its good to swim as the water takes the pressure aware for a bit making you feel more comfortable, think ur trainer maybe confused.
also in my books every pic is a girl on her front and nowhere does it say dont swim in a particular position, just to take it easy

I always do breast stroke. If the SPd thing is a factor do light kicks with your legs but breast stroke with your arms,, like a breast crawl or something :lol:

Thanks. I'm going off to have a swim this morning for a change from the gym, not been swimming since my bump popped so I'll see what feels comfy just now. I think I normally do that old lady type swim, cross between breast stroke and front crawl that your on about Princess!

I swam up to three days before I had Ella and did breaststroke throughout without any problems x

I started swimming last week and do breathstroke and walking in the water. Am also going to try aqua arobics from next week.

Went for a swim on monday and my hips did feel a little sore but took it easy to start with and by the end all was good. Is also nice to take the weight of baby off....

Well I went for a swim and all strokes seemed fine, I did find I had to relax and swim slowly though as when I went at my normal pace my lower tummy got all crampy and sore, maybe where my muscles are loose I guess!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back