Lack of sleep - any suggestions?

Jimmer

Reaction score
Everything is going wonderfully - got our first docs appointment tomorrow - and we already have a list of questions the length of my arm!

The only thing I am worried about is that my DW is having some really bad nights. Waking up, hungry, cant sleep.... She is now even more exhausted that what would be just the pregnancy symptoms. I am sure a lot of it is just the anxiety of what is going on, but still worries me. Any of you had the same? Anything you can suggest?

Hi Jimmer,

I think this is pretty normal in 1st Tri. I ended up getting up at 4am every day to go to work because I had such bad insomnia (which is something I NEVER normally have... I'm a 10-hours a night kind of girl).

I found after about 11-12 weeks things started to get back to normal. I think the 12-week scan is a big milestone too as it removes a lot of the anxiety which might be keeping you awake. I'm sure it's physiological too though - I really couldn't sleep at all!

Fortunately you should then get 18 weeks or so of lots of sleep before the 3rd Tri middle of the night wee followed by insomnia starts :rotfl:

Thanks for both your replies - I really want to help, but this is the one thing I cant really help her with! Tell her to put her feet up? Done. Make sure I do all housework? No probs? Hot water bottles, midnight snacks, hugs a plenty? Sure.

But I cant help with this other than try to help her relax. As for size thing - again, I am sure it is fine, but just interested to know if others have had this question - thank you for your help!

I think our bodies and are minds are in overdrive in the early weeks. And its pretty hard to get to grips with, even if we don't always realise it.

I'd suggest napping in the day if she can. That way at least she isn't so wiped out.

Also little tricks for sleeping better...

Don't drink too many fluids after 7pm ish. Hopefully it will reduce the amount of times needing to wee in the night.

Have a mug of warm milk before bed.

Bath about 45 minutes before bed. Helps to relax (don't make it too hot in first tri to avoid raising your core body temp is the advice usually)

I remember being awake for hours in the night in first tri and on top of the extreme tiredness experienced then I had to contend with the sleepless nights also. That was more mental that anything else and I'd be awake fully from about 3am onwards. If I got more than 4 hours a night in total is was a bonus. However once I'd relaxed about things I learnt to sleep better. And napping in the day helped.

Thanks Sherlock - will try those - thanks for your advice, much appreciated.

Although i am constantly tired and going to bed around 8-9pm every night (even when im not working :oops: ) the past week i have found myself waking up through the night, last night was the worst night i have had in ages, i woke at 4am and just couldnt get back to sleep,no matter how tired i was i just couldnt drop off, plus i was figiting all night!!! :x suppose its all part of being pregnant so not going to moan! :lol:

Hi Jimmer, i think its totally normal to be having restless nights even after the 12 week scan. I'm not sleeping very well at the moment either, I feel sorry for my OH because I keep him awake too with all my fidgeting lol I read before i go to sleep, i find it relaxes me more and if your wife gets hungry in the night suggest she take a few snacks up to bed with her to keep by the bed, that way she doesn't have to get up to get something to eat because i find its worse trying to get back to sleep once you've got out of bed. Hope this helps. Take care xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back