kids drinking shandy?

Strangeness said:
No one's slating you hun, it's great to have that attitude as a mother.

Yeah i dont want you to think i was telling you what you should do as i know everyone is going to bring their children up differently and they are all going to have different opinions to other people and there isnt a wrong or a right way as long as your child is happy!!

I totally understand what you mean and I think it's great! I let Aaron have certain sweets but he doesn't eat them everyday. He has fruit everyday though and that'll never change. He only eats grapes and bananas at the moment but that's good enough for me! To be honest when they're young there aren't many sweets they can have until they get a proper set of teeth. I have never given Aaron McDonalds so far because I don't usually go to be honest. I would let him if he wanted some but I tend to have all his meals set for each day anyway so it would ruin what I had made haha. I prefer knowing what's in his dinner though.

Princess_Puddles said:
Freya said:
Remember as well children who are treated differently to their peers are also targets to be bullied!!

And Schools are getting rougher and when our children go to school things could be worse so they could get bullied for this reason.

I disagree - if kids are gonna get bullied they WILL get bullied no matter what.
The bullies WILL find some weakness any where, I was your average kid i got bullied for yrs, i got bullied because i didnt have the latest designer trainers or clothes and because i was quiet.

School are also getting rougher because of lack of discpline with kids and the kids know they can get away with it, or even sue the teachers but thats another thread!! :D

Hypnorm said:
Princess_Puddles said:
Freya said:
Remember as well children who are treated differently to their peers are also targets to be bullied!!

And Schools are getting rougher and when our children go to school things could be worse so they could get bullied for this reason.

I disagree - if kids are gonna get bullied they WILL get bullied no matter what.
The bullies WILL find some weakness any where, I was your average kid i got bullied for yrs, i got bullied because i didnt have the latest designer trainers or clothes and because i was quiet.

School are also getting rougher because of lack of discpline with kids and the kids know they can get away with it, or even sue the teachers but thats another thread!! :D

I did say COULD get bullied, not that they definately will for that reason!! I know that Kids get bullied for any reason and didnt say that this would be the only reason a child would get bullied

i got bullied in school and i definatly have never ever seen a case of a child get bullied for not eating sweets...in fact more children get bullied for eating too many sweets and becoming fat as a result! Children get bullied because they are quiet...dont stick up for themselves...get good grades anything the bullys want to find as a weakness! but i sure as hell wont be discouraging J from getting good grades...I personally dont want to send J to a school in this country with the experience i had...this is one of the reasons we are thinking of moving to Aus in the future...i did my last year of highschool in Sweden and loved it and my grades went up loads...bullying is very rare there...but here its everywhere! its terrible

jo said:
Emily will happily choose fruit for a snack instead of sweets, i always carry raisins or something in my bag for snacks, we have a tub of sweets in our house (courtesy of a grandparent who ignores me!!!) but i tend to eat more than Emily does.
What you have to remeber though is that when they go to school sweets tend to be brought in for birthdays, so sometimes you do have to be flexible.

I gave Jack some White choc bottons as a traet on his Birthday :D ok i ate a lot of them but my god he demolished them.

Jack prefers his fruit too at the minute

I beleive it is all about setting up good eating habits, not totally denying things, sometimes this can backfire big style

if you set good habits from a young age, children tend to make the "right" chioce for themselves

And just remember fruit can contain as much harmful sugers as sweets

my three are happy to eat fruit too - but love sweeties as much if they are offered them. In out house fruit is on offer all the time where as sweets are a rarity BUT not off the menu completely.

budge said:
my three are happy to eat fruit too - but love sweeties as much if they are offered them. In out house fruit is on offer all the time where as sweets are a rarity BUT not off the menu completely.

Thats the same here. I dont limit the amount of fruit thats eaten but do with sweets. It definately must sink in as she is happier to eat fruit.

when I was pg and when Ella was younger I was adamant she wouldn't be having sweets or chocolate. I still feel that way, I would much prefer her to have friut as a snack, BUT I wont mind her having chocolate every now and then as a treat. I have given her milky buttons twice and she loves them, but i dont mind them so much as they have calcium in them.

As for the shandy :roll: im not really sure! I'd prefer her not to have it, so I suppose I would be a bit annoyed because if she is given it in the first place she may want it again, whereas if she never had it in the first place she'd be none the wiser and just drink water or juice!

my two have very very weak shandy if we are having a party or something, then they are allowed a glass each.

I had whiskey in my bottle etc as a young child and I'm not an alcoholic or did it do me any harm.

i think the difference is though that I chose to let them have it,not someone else, then I may have been upset :)

you have tempted me *sips on her cream soda shandy* lol

Oh well I must be strict! :oops:

I think Cassi and I are of the same view that they wont get any whilst they r soo young, but when they r older it will be a different story.

I never got sweets at 8/9 months old, my mum was strict on that too, so I think its just been drilled into me! :lol:

K X said:
Oh well I must be strict! :oops:

I think Cassi and I are of the same view that they wont get any whilst they r soo young, but when they r older it will be a different story.

I never got sweets at 8/9 months old, my mum was strict on that too, so I think its just been drilled into me! :lol:

I dont think your strict at all, Like i said before Rebecca is still very young and i know Harry wont be getting sweets untill he understands properly (1-2 years)
And as i've already said all us Mum's & Mums to be are going to have different opinions and there isnt a wrong or right way about it, as long as our children are/will be happy!
I think i just read the posts wrong

I've read this whole post (thanks for everyones advice regarding my question, it put my mind at rest!) but now I feel like a bad mum! Josh is allowed sweets and crisps and things, dont get me wrong, he has a varied diet and he doesnt eat them all the time but I've never restricted anything. He's healthy, happy and hopefully as he grows up he will learn that these kinds of foods are alright in moderation.

I dont want anyone to think Im encouraging him to eat sweets etc all the time as Im not, but I think stopping foods such as sweets and things altogether would be unnecessary and a bit harsh! Thats just my opinion though. As long as he's healthy and at no risk I'll continue doing what I am now :)

I'm sure this point has already been made but my OH was made to eat sugar-free carob as a child and not allowed chocolate :puke:

Consequently he is now a complete sugar addict since as soon as he was old enough to buy his own treats he became chocco-obsessed!

Everything in moderation, I say! :D

x-kirsty-x said:
I've read this whole post (thanks for everyones advice regarding my question, it put my mind at rest!) but now I feel like a bad mum! Josh is allowed sweets and crisps and things, dont get me wrong, he has a varied diet and he doesnt eat them all the time but I've never restricted anything. He's healthy, happy and hopefully as he grows up he will learn that these kinds of foods are alright in moderation.

I am totally with you Kirsty. It is as I said before everything in moderation. I think to restict something totally (unless it is drugs) is as bad as feeding it constantly. I think children need to be introduced to a variety of different tastes and textures. This is what I have done with my child and she eats everything (including brussel sprouts). She does enjoy sweets (she is 4) but does not gorge on them, she also enjoys all varieties of fruit and veg - I think a BALANCED diet is just that balanced!!!!
My coments about change after you have had the baby Cassi were because a lot of things I said I would never do I have definately done since having my children but I am happy and they are happy. By the way a few sweets does not an obese unhealthy child make!!!

My coments about change after you have had the baby Cassi were because a lot of things I said I would never do I have definately done since having my children but I am happy and they are happy. By the way a few sweets does not an obese unhealthy child make!!!

I didnt say it did!!! I just dont want to give my child sweets and i wont...and no that wont change..fair enough it did for you but for me it wont. :) i have no problem with other people giving their children sweets thats fine.

But i wont cause at that young age what they dont have they wont miss when they are so young in my opinion.

All i said was in responce to the bullying comments that children may get bullied for not been allowed sweets, i said that is very unlikely...its more likely for children that eat TOO MANY (note, not a few) sweets and as a result get big as teenagers and them children are likely to get bullied in school.

I'm so lucky Mason doesn't like sweets at all. He'll eat chocolate all day though if you let him...in fact, once when he was 2 or 3 I was making dinner and when I came back in the room I found he'd eaten a whole easter egg :lol:

I'd never give him Shandy though, I can't see the point, it doesn't even taste that nice, he hates anything fizzy anyway, I'd be more worried about the sugar content of fizzy drinks at that age. I wouldn't give a 3 year old lemonade but that's just me.

Note that Cassi Urchin and mines posts were posted at the exact same time. oooooo :shock:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itsa1231
Back