kidney infection ... > ... diabetes?!

leckershell

Reaction score
Not sure if you read my really long post about when I had to go to hospital the week before last with the kidney infection.. I went to the doctors this evening and they said I might be diabetic as they found glucose in my urine :?

Does pregnancy get better? I seem to be having every possible pregnancy problem all at the same time, it's such a nightmare. Has anyone here been told they have pregnancy diabetes, and if so how did you find out about it?

I'm just really worried as people keep telling me all different things but not having enough evidence to diagnose anything :wall:

Hi there

Sorry to hear about your worries with diabetes.

I had a post on here a week ago about my fainting spells. The doc sent me for a glucose test too as she thought it could possibly be diabetes. I have to go tomorrow for the results.

Anyway, one of my friends told me she had it with her last (3rd) child and had to have her blood monitored regularly throughout the end of the pregnancy.

From what I gather it can be a nuisance during pregnancy as you will need to modify your diet, and get checked more often than usual, but it should go when the baby is born (or soon after).

When I had the blood drawn last week the nurse said if the glucose test comes back with a problem they usually send you for more, advanced, blood tests - 2 or 3 in the same morning over a space of a couple of hours.

Sorry I can't be of more help. I totally empathise with your feelings of not knowing what's going on though. :hug:

A girlfriend in the states developed gestational diabetes....it was found in a routine check-up appointment (i.e. the urine test) and she was simply told what she could and couldn't eat for the remainder of the pregnancy. I must say she was overweight pre-pregnancy so whether that played a role I don't know but she's long since had the baby and the diabetes went with the labour pains!! I'm sure your midwife will put you at ease, it's nothing to worry about though.

It's such a nightmare, I seem to be the 1% of everything! It could be true about the diabetic thing cos theyve estimated the baby to weigh in at 7.5 - 9lb on the growth chart, and im very petite :?

Just wish things could be plain sailing!

m

Have you been sent for a glucose tolerance test (GTT) to check for diabetes?

In a non-pregnant person, glucose found in urine is a possible indicator for diabetes, however, in pregnancy, the kidney somehow functions differently, and it's not uncommon for some glucose to escape into urine, hence pregnant women are more prone to urinary tract infections. Therefore, diabetes in pregnancy can only really be diagnosed using the GTT.

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/diseases/fac ... abetes.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back