Just read a thread on another forum..kinda angry but sad now

hannah9000

Reaction score
It was a forum where the ladies were due to give birth in February and they were talking about smoking. They ALL smoked apart from the odd one or two. Some of them said they had stopped at 6 weeks but then started again, some had said they hadn't stopped at all and some had said they had just cut down.
Now, I'm not a smoker (I smoked between 15-16 and ended up in hospital) and I applaud the ladies that cut down when they find out they're pregnant, and more so if they give up cold turkey (I have a friend doing that right now). But to carry on smoking 20 a day? I think that is so so selfish, they all say it doesn't harm the baby but if it causes cancer in an adult I'm sure it can do some sort of harm to the baby. Apologies if some of you are smokers, I don't intend to offend but reading the thread made me so angry.
My DP is currently going cold turkey as we want funding for IVF, he's doing it because he doesn't want to increase the chances of an unhealthy baby and so he can set a good example (he never allowed to smoke in the house anyway).
I just don't get it, more so if you have been trying for a baby for a long time why take the risk in carrying on smoking? ARRGHHH!

Sorry ladies. Rant over!

*Disclaimer* This is only my opinion, it is not aimed at anyone it is simply my feelings so please don't shoot me down if you disagree!

LOL cool disclaimer, i might start using it! I feel exactly the same, but i guess its an addiction! I do think its selfish, however my sister smoked through her pregnancy, about 3 a day. She said its unlikely to have a big affect, not like alcohol or other drugs

It disgusts me to be honest. Smoking during pregnancy can cause premature births and low birth weights. These expectant mothers aren't going to die from giving up their fags for 9 months. As far as i'm concerned there really is no excuse. It also looks disgusting when a pregnant woman is seen smoking, Kerry Katona was in the paper smoking with her last pregnancy.

I'm now going to rob you disclaimer Hannah!!

*Disclaimer* This is only my opinion, it is not aimed at anyone it is simply my feelings so please don't shoot me down if you disagree!

Any smokin is not good, but though if women are pregnant they are advised now to quit slowly as suddenly stopping in early pregnany could harm the baby if its sudden.

Crazy i know! but i was told this!

iv never been a smoker but i will say my mum smoked throughout with me and my brother and carried on drinking. My brother was 2 weeks late and weighed 8.4 and i was a week early weighing 7.11. i have no idea how many she smoked or how muc she drank not that it really makes much difference....still told her off about it now iv found out!!!
Me personally have given up drinking now we are TTC and wont touch any alcohol at all...everyone finds it funny that at 19 i wont drink lol.
Im not sure about all the facts of smoking during pregnancy or fully drinking to be perfectly honest, but why take the risk? there are so many things that could happen anyway. I personally blame myself for my m/c because i got drunk pretty much everynight the week before i found out due to being on holiday.
Anyway...mindless ranting over!!!

:rotfl: :rotfl: Love the disclaimer..

I totally agree with you. I am not a smoker and think everyone should quite whether they're pregnant ot not but I don't think that will happen anytime soon. I do think that if you are pregnant then you should be giving that baby the best possible chance of a healthy start to life so if that means cutting out bad things...then so be it.

:hug:

I quit smoking staright away, but still had the odd glass of wine

maybe people just arnt educated enough on smoking :| It makes me feel sick to see pregnant women smoke, im not perfect myself but i know the effect it had on me when i smoked and id never do that to my body while i was pregnant. :puke: :puke:

Reminds me of story I heard. This man left a cup of orange juice outside after a BBQ. The next day he seen some dead wasps floating in it and some wasps trying to get out. The next thing that he saw was another wasp making its way down the cup. All the warning signs of danger were there.. the wasp saw what happened to the others..did the wasp turn and go back? No.. he kept on going and got stuck too lol :rotfl:

So really, all the warning signs are out there, people are repeatedly told about the dangers but do they stop? nope lol.

:hug:

Very true analogy. As to people not being educated, there is a warning on every cigarette packet in the UK as to the dangers of smoking, so there is no excuse for 'not knowing'. Some of the warnings specifically say 'smoking can lower a mans sperm count'! I'm so happy that people can't smoke in pubs and restaurants anymore as well, I used to hate eating food with the smell of smoke around me! Another rant!

xx

it makes me furious

i gave up the second the test shopwed positive, even though i was dying for one to get ovr the shock, i refused, iot was hard but i struggled on but i havennt touched one since that day at 5 weeks pregnant.
i work in a homeless hostel where all the girls drink/smoke and take drugs and it makes me sick......

I'm not going to have a pop at anyone who smokes in pregnancy (my aunt smoked over 20 a day through all her pregnancies) but I will give my opinion and say that it disgusts me :x I was a smoker before I had Maddison but I gave up cold turkey when we started TTC and had been a smoker for 15 years, its hard but not impossible :shakehead:

Agreed snuggle, i went cold turkey and was a smoker for over 10 years

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back