just found out something I never knew

jennywren

Reaction score
Well after reading through some old posts on here I read that you can breast feed and formular feed at the same time and dont have to choose one or the other

Is this correct? If so Im well chuffed, as I want to 'try' BF (hope I can do it) but I also want to do forumlar as I dont want to express, but I want OH and family members when there baby sitting to beable to make up formular!

You can, although if you want to give BF a serious try, then I think poeple are advised to delay formula for a few weeks as the first few weeks are really important in establishing a good milk supply and if you're not feeding on demand and supplementing with formula then your body will make less milk as a result.

Some babies refuse formula if they can smell milk on mummy as the breast milk is more comforting and nicer tasting! Other babies seem to switch between the two without a problem.

LBxx

Yeah you can do both but try and do just breast for the first couple of weeks as the colostrum (sp) is in the 1st week and is the best thing for baby :hug:

YEY!!!!!!!!!!!!

My plan was Breast only for abour 4 weeks as I wont be leaving my LO in that time anyway, then to try switching!

Hev at what point did you start switching and did Madi take to both straight away, or did she get confused

I did both to start with, cause I got a spinal tap from the epidural, I couldnt sit and had to stay laying down for 10 days and moving my head was painfull. I would try to stick Noah on the breast while I was layin down, to keep him quiet while OH made up his bottle. I dont know that he got much but he seemed happy their till is bottle was ready, then he went on tot he no probs.

I would sugest thouh that for at least the first week you go for breast exclusivly to make sure your milk comes throuh properly before cominging the two. I ended up havin to give up with the breast, cause I couldnt feed him very well I dont think my milk ever came through properly.

If you want to breast feed from the start you really must breast feed exclusivley for the first few weeks, other wise you will really confuse you body, in these first few weeks your body is establishing how much milk your little one requires, so you will be feeding on demand, if you keep substituting feeds with a bottle your milk production will decrease.
Once you are past 2 months then you should be able to mix bottle and breast, but you may find that the formula will give him wind as the consistence between mother milk and forumula is different, Ewan became extremely consitpated when i gave him formula, even only on once a day.

In the end it is entirely up to you, breast feeding is hard and any one who says it come naturally in lying it has to be learn by you and by your little one, but it is a wonderful experience once you get through the first 2 weeks. they are the worst and can be phsyically and mentally draining,

There is a very good sticky some where with some useful breastfeeind links and advice

I would love to combine breast and bottle this time but worry about nipple confusion. I'm gonna do breast for about 6 weeks then try to combine. Anyone got any other good advice?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back