breast pumps

i am planning on breast feeding my baby (well trying it) and want to get a breast pump so i can express the milk for when i go out and was wondering wot is the best type i can get that dont cost loads thanks for your help
sarah and bubba

I keep getting told to get an Avent one ?? I think that's what they are called. Not sure hun. Check out mothercare online? Or boots?

www.mothercare.com
www.boots.co.uk

I had the same idea - breat and express. MIL keeps telling me it won't work as it didn't I when she breastfed my OH!! But then that was 20 years ago now! things have moved on and I'm going to try all the same!

thanks for the advice going up town tomoz so will look in both mothercare and boots
sarah and bubba

Hi ladies

I know what you mean - it's not like you get to try before you buy is it?!!

I don't know if this helps or not, but I've been doing some reading on breastfeeding and expressing, and have read that the electric pumps are well worth the extra money - the manual pumps are too slow and are a big reason why women give up!

If you find any good brands keep us posted!

LB xx

I have always been told the opposite to that!! Shows how much stuff you get fed eh to 'buy the brand'. Drives me mad :evil: . I wish I knew more people who had breastfed for their advice. Maybe I shouldn't have been the first of my mates and Marks mates to have kids :lol: I'll check my budget - electric would be nice and less hassle though :lol:

Hiya Sami

I only know of someone who used one of the manual pumps - she said it was terrible but she was able to use it.

I have been reading a book by a midwife - hopefully not affiliated with any of the manufacturers, but I'll keep asking around before I buy!

I have been warned not to trust any of the sales people's advice when it comes to deciding what is essential and what's not!!

I've just been working out what we need overall - I think I need a serious win on the lottery.

LBxx

I decided to be organised for everything I would possibly need and I think it comes to just under a grand - £900 max if we buy a carseat/push chair in one, or less if we really budget and buy cheaply/second hand (not car seat). Then there is more furniture for the bedroom - which I think we can steal from in laws and my parents :wink: but decorating should be cheap.

Can send u my list if it helps u at all? Calculated rough figures of how much each things costs on average too.

I don't listen to sales advice either - luckily two of mine and OH's good friends work in Mothercare (one of them is the manager of the store) and are advising us whch stuff breaks, which stuff stays better longer etc and which has the best rappor. They're not seling us sh*t!! :lol: Have a friend who works in NEXT getting us baby clothes discounted price too which is very handy. :D

Would you? You can PM me - that would be great!

You are very lucky to be able to take advantage of people's staff discounts!

My sister is a teacher so can advise on good schools (not even relevant for a few years!) but she's the most useful contact I have in terms of 'inside knowledge'. Thank goodness for these forums!!

I will try and PM it - if it doesn't work do you have an email? I'll try and post a thread up with it on either way hun x

It didn't work properly so I have made a thread in the baby eqip section.

HTH hun!! xx

I can say from personal experiance that MEDELA brand breast pumps work greeat,
even the manual one is great, you can also get electric and battery powered ones, that can be used as manual if needed

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back