Just biting my nipples and not feeding properly.

floppit

Reaction score
It's been nearly the whole day again without Freya having a proper feed (not even 10 mins latched on). She didn't even feed that well when she woke - not as much as normal. She seems to go off feeding after a spurt and sort of panics around my nipple or just clamps/bites it and twangs.

I must admit it really gets me down after a while, she seems sort of cranky but ok - I feel bloody miserable! I think I miss the feel good hormones and it hurts loads when she just bites and stretches my nipple.

I'm not going to give up but I feel rotten right now.

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

these babies don't make it easy for us do they?! at least you know she'll feed when she's hungry; its horrible when they bite though - connor's got his first tooth, and its only my nipple shields saving me!

We are going through the same at the moment!!! LO may feed for two minutes, and then stop. If I try to put her back on she gets upset. I just stay calm and offer another booby and try to cover her with a muslin (so that she won't get distracted). Eventually, I just give up if she doesn't want it as I don't want to force feed her. She tends to smile at me then and we have a lovely cuddle without her feeding. I love those moments nearly as much as bf:ing :D

I think they are more effective feeders now, and their tummies are bigger so they don't need to feed as often. My LO can easily go 3.5 - 4 hours without a feed during the day. I don't even try more often as it won't be enjoyable to either of us.

She feeds well at night and in the morning so I am not worried.

Maybe your LO is teething and using your nips as a teething toy?

Keep up the good work :hug: :hug: :hug:

When Calleigh has a day like this where she is not that interested in feeding i find she feeds better at the end of the day when she is slightly sleepy. We both go lie down on the bed, no lights or dimly lit room, no noise basically no distractions. She may fuss at first but i just let her get on with it, if she takes the boob then good if not i dont push it.
These babies wont go hungry :)

I know what you mean when you say you feel miserable :hug: Calleigh had a few days where she hardly ate at all i was an emotional wreck, something to do with hormones i am told. It wasnt very nice and doesnt help the situation :hug: :hug:

I expressed (even the lecky 'spressor only gets an ounce out of me!!) and tried to give her that - being threatened with a bottle seemed to do it and after she refused the expressed milk she finally fed for 10 mins.

I'm sure I have tried just as she wakes but I'll make a special effort to make sure I do. She dream feeds really well at night.

She was doing this a couple of weeks ago and I put it down to the heat - then she had a spurt and all was well again. As it's been cool today I guess that's the heat theory blown out the water.

I love BF'ing SO MUCH, I just get really upset when it feels like it could go wrong - I wish I REALLY knew deep down that she would eat if hungry, but I've heard so often about it going wrong even when Mum's want to keep BF'ing. I want the haunting thought that it could be going wrong out my head then it would be easy to get through the bruised nips and cranky kid stages.

It's good to know it's not just me! (I missed the last 2 posts).

I have been trying to go upstairs where it's calm but with no joy - she give me her cheeky face then *TWANG*.... smile. Like an ijot I let her do it again because she hasn't fed.

I'm sure hormones have alot to do with it but I can't believe how upset I feel when it's like this. I cope much better with spurts even without sleep.

floppit said:
I love BF'ing SO MUCH, I just get really upset when it feels like it could go wrong - I wish I REALLY knew deep down that she would eat if hungry, but I've heard so often about it going wrong even when Mum's want to keep BF'ing. I want the haunting thought that it could be going wrong out my head then it would be easy to get through the bruised nips and cranky kid stages.

I felt exactly like you do when Calleigh went through the not feeding few days. Even tho i was told well she will eat if she is hungry, she wont starve i still worried that what if she wont ever latch back on and feed normally. I worried even more because i dont even have a back up as she doesnt take from bottles.
Its really hard to be positive but i have now come to the point where i think 'well i have reached four months its highly unlikely that the breastfeeding will go really wrong'
Really try to relax hun :hug: :hug: once she is back feeding you will wonder why you worried so much (until next time :? )

I worried even more because i dont even have a back up as she doesnt take from bottles.
Yup - neither will Freya, we keep trying but the measley drops I manage to express always wind up down the sink!

Jack went through the same thing around 3 and a half months. Biting really hard and I found myself getting really wound up about it.

All that advice up there worked for me. Dark room, no telly, switching boobs, or just trying again 20 mins later and then it was lovely again.

Just waiting for him to go back to BFing now coz he's poorly. Getting all the same stress and hormon problems as before.

Keep trying different things but don't force it. It must just be a phase they go through. :hug: :hug: :hug:

...but at least you got some in her mehehe.

That's where I've been going wrong - I keep putting my titty in her gob *Floppit goes off to Google where her 'mehehe' is*.

Well she put on 5 ounces again this week so somehow I'll have to remembr that when she being a little pain in the tit! The main thing is that she's getting the food - the rest is details, ouchy details but just details...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back