BF'ing hurts so much :(

ButterflyBoo_x

Reaction score
Ever since i was in hospital my nipples have been really cracked, they are so sensitive, even if he touches it with his lip i'm in agony, i've had bfing help round who say we are latched on perfectly. but the thought of him feeding from me gets me all worked up and i'm really not enjoying it :(
but then if i quit i feel bad because he latched on perfectly from birth, and he seems to enjoy it, but i'm not. i can feel my nipple throbbing now and hes nowhere near it.

some people try to hard to get latched and i feel pathetic for wanting to quit.

Have u got any nipple shields? Just to help while they heal maybe? Are you using cream??

i've got nipple shields but still agnony :(

Been using cream, and vaseline, and rubbing in milk aswell.

I'm feeding half breast, half formula at the moment because it hurts so much. though today hes only had 1 BF because it was agony :'(

I Just feel selfish for wanting to quit just because it hurts me

Oh BB :((. I don't know what to suggest but big hugs :( xxxx

My right side always hurt, BF for 1 year and it hurt every single time. The left side was always fine though.

Not sure what to suggest as you are using shields and cream already and LOs latch is fine. Only time can heal it which you can't allow for either, catch 22.

Maybe try a different cream? There are quite a few out there so you might be suited to another better?

Wish I could help more hun xxxxxx

Nothing worked for me, not shields, not cream, I was in excruciating pain, crying every time I fed him, I was in agony until I started feeding him expressed milk in bottles. It wasn't helping my bond with the baby either, now we're doing SO much better.

I had so much pain too. I cried a lot in the first few weeks. I was very stubborn and wanted so badly to stick with it. but thats not for everyone. teh pain went down about 6 weeks. then it was pain free. his latch was a bit funny and we had counsellors helping.

good luck, keep going with the lasinoh cream and big hugs xx

I had this issue too. Make sure you use nipple cream inbetween feeds. I found it helped. Once I got to two weeks I started finding it alot easier. I felt like giving up too but now I'm so glad I stuck at it. Make sure you do what's right for you though hun. A happy mum makes a happy baby.xx

I was in loads of pain too at the start, I couldn't wear any clothes on top for the first 2 weeks. My pain literally disappeared overnight at about 3-4 weeks and I'm sooo glad now that I didn't quit. I know it's hard but it will end and giving formula too often might make your milk supply drop.
I hope it gets easier for you xxxxx

Nothing worked for me, not shields, not cream, I was in excruciating pain, crying every time I fed him, I was in agony until I started feeding him expressed milk in bottles. It wasn't helping my bond with the baby either, now we're doing SO much better.

This was the same for me, my OH pointed out that every time I was feeding her I would look out the window as if I was trying to detach myself from it, we expressed for another week after that then moved onto ff. I love feeding her from a bottle & the cuddles we have, in the end breastfeeding was just making me upset x

Oh I feel your pain I was in agony until he was about 6-7 weeks old, I'd stamp my feet and bite my lip while counting to 20 to try and get through that initial latch pain, it was hell!! I remember not long after he was born he cluster fed loads, he had a Hoover of a latch and he liked to chew me, I'd barely got through a feed and 20 mins later he was wanting another, I honestly couldn't bear to do it but it was middle of night we had nothing else to feed him so I had to put him on, OH literally held me down by my shoulders cos I was screaming and writhing in pain, I swore that we were going straight to the shop as soon as it was morning for formula and I was giving it up! But nxt day it was bearable again so I kept going, eventually I thought I've been thru all this pain and hardwork I'll be damned if I did it for nothing and give it up now its getting easier, so I kept on and suddenly 6weeks ish it was magically fine and I didn't feel a thing, its been great since then and I'm pleased I stuck it out. Feel so jealous of the girls who find it easy!

It does get better honestly, and there is so much support out there so use it! but only you know if its worth sticking it out as its your body, you know your limits and you have to do what's best for you, there is no shame in giving up if its making you not enjoy your baby x

Last edited:
Meant to add that there is so much pressure to bf that your made to feel bad for wanting to stop which is wrong, it was that guilt that made me battle through as I felt like I would fail him if I gave up, I put much pressure on myself, but we really shouldn't have to put up with pain and misery just so we don't feel like a failure (esp as its not a failure to ff). If your happier ff then baby will be happy, either bf or ff your baby is still being fed so they don't care, what they care about is their mummy!

Ouch, I feel your pain, those first couple of weeks are agony but it really does improve. Have you got breast shells to put in your bra in-between feeds? They allow air to circulate so they can heal quicker. I also used lanhosil (sorry can't spell) cream which helps too. You have to really make sure you get lots of your boob in thier mouth most of the aerola area, could you speak to the local bfing support worker again?

LANSOHIL cream is the future lol! Can't spell it right but it definately helped me to continue bf as I had holes in both nipples!

You can put it on before baby feeds too! Mine literally healed overnight! It's about £10 a tube but lasts forever!

Couldn't recommend it highly enough! Good luck hun xx

Sent from my sparkly new 4s!!!

Lansinoh did absolutely nothing for me, nothing works if you have a biter :(

Thanks hun, i've decided i can't do it, i don't have the will power to carry on trying to bf him, and after making my decision i do feel closer to him, and feel more settled and relaxed about his feedings. the MW has been today and i've spoken to her, and she said i don't have to bf if i don't want to, hes still had a benefit from it as he got the colostrum.

My DS was ff, and hes perfectly healthy, i tried alot harder this time than i did last, i just want to enjoy my baby, and i can't if i'm dredding the next feed x

& Thanks everyone else for your responses xx

You've tried! And in my book that makes all the difference! Don't feel bad or let anyone judge you!

Good luck in your nipples recovery!

It was painful in the beginning for me too. It was only by the end of week 3 that I noticed that I was no longer dreading feeding times and now I find it very pleasant and relaxing. It will get better honestly it just takes a bit of time :)

Glad you feel happier, you should feel proud you gave it a go, and I hope you can start to relax and enjoy your lo properly xx

Sounds like you made the right choice for you and your baby. Happy mummy = happy baby and you can enjoy him now rather than dreading each feed. Least you can always think you gave bfing your best shot :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back