Jaundice

Colourmeblue

Reaction score
My lo is just over 4 weeks old and still has jaundice. Last time HV came over she was 2 weeks old, and still had the jaundice and HV said it was fine, that it will go. But she is now over a month old, and i can still see the yellow in her face and in the whites of her eyes. Taking her to clinic today so will speak to HV, but wondering if anyone has any insight into this? - and how long it lasts? x

My LO had a touch of it and we were kept in for a couple of days because of it. When we were allowed home, I was told to place his moses basket close to the window, as the daylight / sunlight would help it go quicker.

Were you offered phototherapy?? xx

Last edited:
Hey hun my lo had bad jaundice and we kept seeing different hv who kept saying wait and see. We found in the end me and max had a blood incompatibility and he was struggling to get rid of it, he was also tongue tied. We were in hospital for a few days with max under the lamps and he was right as rain after a couple of weeks. We also had his tongue tie snipped. I would personally recommend you get them checked especially if lo has quite yellow eyes. What the hv will prob do is send you to hospital for a quick blood test, they take blood from the heel and you'll get the results there and then xxx

Lmao silly me thought my boy just had a cracking tan - I though jaundice at first but no nurses mentioned so when HV came she says place moses at the window but J was a Jan baby it was freezing so I wouldn't leave him there because our old flat was always cold and I was paranoid.

Jacksons only lasted about a month xxxxx

Lmao silly me thought my boy just had a cracking tan - I though jaundice at first but no nurses mentioned so when HV came she says place moses at the window but J was a Jan baby it was freezing so I wouldn't leave him there because our old flat was always cold and I was paranoid.

Jacksons only lasted about a month xxxxx

People kept saying to me 'hasn't he got a lovely colour to him' :) xx

Yeah my lil brother is quite sallow skinned so I thought it was the gene when no MW reported it!

I had bad jaundice and needed under the lights.

He got more orange as we got him home when it faded but at first it was more of a tan.

OH has strawberry blonde hair aswell so I'm thinking how the hell has he got such light hair and dark skin haha xxxxx

Attachments

• coming%20home.jpg
    coming%20home.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 23
Thanks ladies, sorry for the late response. I got really worried so took lo to the clinic a couple of days ago. HV said she could still see jaundice in her face and her legs also. So she has referred her to the jaundice clinic at the hospital and we have an appt on monday. As some of you have said, they said they will take blood test, through heel prick, and check her levels and then depending on results, maybe light therapy.

For those who have had light therapy, do you think they will admit her, or is it a day thing?

Also, what exactly is jaundice, because every midwife seems to explain it differently.

xx

My little one had to have light therapy at 6 days old and then 4 weeks later had prolonged jaundice, my dr said this sometimes happens, they took blood from my little one to make sure nothing was causing it

Also I was told that once the baby is more than a week old they don't give them light therapy as it doesn't work,my little one was admitted tho while they did tests

Last edited:
Jaundice is basically the yellowy colour, which is caused by high levels of a pigment in the blood called bilirubin. Everyone has this pigment in the blood and normally the liver will break it down and the baby will get rid of it through pee and pooh. When the doctor does the blood test they will tell you the bilirubin level and then decide if treatment is necessary. Max was admitted due to his levels being quite high, but as I said before this was mainly due to him being tongue tied (he was getting quite enough fluid to help his bowels remove the bilirubin) and our blood incompatibility, which meant his body struggled to break down the red blood cells I had transferred to him. I hope that helps a bit xxx

O was jaundiced. I stuck him beside the window in his Moses basket & a few days later he was great.

Thanks girls. I have been putting her by the window, but doesnt seemed to have helped, and its too hot to have her out in this sun. Im assuming and hoping that il be able to stay with her if she does have to be admitted. x

My wee one got phototherapy when we were still in hospital. She was under the lights then got bloods taken....if the bloods came back at an ok level she was taken off the lights (for 6 hours I think) then bloods re-tested to see if the levels had shot up again from being off the lights. She ended up being under then about 4 days I think xx
Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks girls. I have been putting her by the window, but doesnt seemed to have helped, and its too hot to have her out in this sun. Im assuming and hoping that il be able to stay with her if she does have to be admitted. x

Are you bf hun? I panicked when they said they were admitting Max but they assured me I could stay with him, especially as I was exclusively bf and feeding helps get rid of the jaundice xx

Aaron had bad jaundice, and we were kept in hospital he had photo therapy for 2 days and blood tests every 2 hours till his levels were normal. Not sure how long he had it for though :s

Drake had bad jaundice and was re admitted 6 days after he was born (silly midwives discharged us the day before without checking his levels). He had to have triple light therapy for 2 days and was gradually weaned off the lights on the third day. We were both in the hospital for that time as I was breast feeding.

Definitely try to keep her in daylight, not full sun, as it will be helping her break down the bilirubin.

Oh and feed feed feed....thats the best way to get it out their systems xx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Are you bf hun? I panicked when they said they were admitting Max but they assured me I could stay with him, especially as I was exclusively bf and feeding helps get rid of the jaundice xx

Hi hun, yes i am exclusively breast feeding, so definately reassuring to hear your stayed with your lo. Shes feeding approx every 3 hours atm, but past couple of days its been more often. And i do my best to keep her in the light. It seems to be a bit better atm, so fingers crossed it goes well tomro x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back