• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

James Elliott Thorpe; 9lb 7oz, 17 April 2008

heles7

Reaction score
My waters went with a gush just after 2am Wednesday morning. Knowing that baby still hadn’t engaged I had strict orders to go straight to hospital and I was admitted onto the labour ward a short time later. I was soon moved over the ante natal ward after my contractions slowed from every 3-4 minutes, through the day there was some 20 minutes between them. I was checked and told once again that baby was not quite central and still high and it could be a possible c section or I might be sent home.

Having been told how important it was to be in the hospital, this put me into tears, especially as one midwife had said I was going nowhere now until baby arrived. Throughout the night there wasn’t much progress with my contractions although they were becoming more painful and I stuck with the Tens machine. Thursday morning arrived which was the day I was supposed to be induced and at about 10am I was moved back to labour ward; expecting to be given the oxytocin drip. I was three cm dilated at this time.

Having read about others experiences of this on here, I decided that epidural was the answer for me despite this being no part of my plan that I even wanted to consider. The drip was started and a short while later the anaesthetist started the epidural. Obviously I flinched and they gave me the gas and air to calm me while the needle was going in. I took a while to get the hang of it but once I did I told the midwife I felt dizzy and asked if I was moving. She assured me I wasn’t! It took a while to get the epidural right but I was soon numb and happy. It didn’t last long; a patch of pain appeared and I was back on the gas and air until a top up was given. Once again it was short lived and another top up given and then once again a little later it stopped and something else was added.

At around 5 or 6pm the doctors examined me and told me I was still only 3-4 cm dilated. They told me they’d let me go for a couple of hours longer but with baby still high they would probably need to do a section if there was not much further progress. Mum arrived and the doctors were not happy with how things were progressing so they gave me the option of waiting another couple of hours or going straight to theatre there and then to try and prevent baby getting distressed. Off to theatre we went with mum to hold my hand.

The theatre was the most frightening thing ever to me despite a lovely team of staff trying to reassure me but I was amazed that I really couldn’t feel anything pain wise. I was shaking like a leaf, from cold and shock combined throughout the procedure but was so relieved to see baby and hear him cry.

The whole thing was a far cry from my much hoped for home birth but I’m just glad James is here now, safe and healthy!

DSC07269.jpg

:hug: :hug: :hug: So sorry you didnt get the birth you wanted :( But he's gorgeous and healthy. I hope you a speedy recovery hun And Congratulations!! :) xxx

although you didn't get the birth you wanted...all your decisions made your labour safe for your baby...and hes now here happy and well... well done.. :clap: :clap: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Sorry you didn't get the birth you wanted but congratulations and what a gorgeous boy he is :cheer:

Awww congratulations, he is gorgeous :hug: :hug: :hug:

Sorry your birth wasn't as you had hoped for, but sounds to me like you were in good hands and made the right choice with regards to his delivery.

Congratulations on your ikkle man, sorry about not getting the homebirth.

James is gorgeous, bless his little face!!! :hug:
You did so well, even though it wasn't the experience you were hoping for! :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Salata Sara
Back