I've got shingles :O(

Urchin

Reaction score
I can't believe it!

I made a post in Ask a Mum this week about a bit of extra sensitive skin I had on my back, like a small rash. When my mom saw it she said it looked like shingles, I have been worried sick about it and went to the docs first thing today and she said it is.

I was so worried about the baby, and it didn't help that the doctor googled first as she didn't know either! She called one of the other doctors in to have a look aswell, who said as I'm immune to chickenpox, the baby will be immune.
They also called the hospital to double check things and they also said not to worry at all.

It's given me some other symptoms, like a headache an a bit of a temp etc, but as long as the baby is OK I don't care about me.
The other good thing is it's not very contagious like chickenpox is, and as long as someone who hasn't have chickenpox doesn't touch the rash, it'll be fine. I think Brody may have touched it a little though as it's just where my top meets my trousers so he may get chicken pox :(

Oh wow! Sorry to hear you have this. Do they have any idea how long it will take to clear up?

That's not good :?

Hope it gets better soon and that Brody is unaffected xxx

Oh urchin, sorry to hear that. You might find you have pain in the area for the rash for quite some time after the rash disapears (post herpatic neuralgia. Shingles is a nasty little virus. Have they given you anything for it? Aciclovir (Zovirax ) is the usual treatment but I don't know if you can have it during pregnancy.

Hope you feel better soon.

Hiya
I have a prescription I picked up this afternoon for some cream but I was too knackered to fetch it yet :oops:
I heard about the pain thing too... it's not too bad at the moment, and has hardly spread at all, so fingers crossed even if the pain does stay a while it won't be too big an area.

:hug: sorry to hear your not feeling well Urchin.. I hope you have quick recovery :hug:

Sorry to hear your not well. I'm glad the babys not affected, that must be a big relief.
I hope you're better soon, it's supposed to be the mother of all contagious diseases, shingles :hug: :hug: :hug:

Poor you, i have had it. I was 14 at the time and was the youngest case that my hospital had ever heard of. I remember it being horrid, but in truth the older you get the worse it affects you so you shoudn't be too bad, in very elderley people over 80 it can be life threatening and they are normally hospitalised. Good news is it doesnt last too long.

I have a few scars on my shoulder which is where the bulk of mine was and if i work that arm really hard one day ie the gym or ride a horse which pulls i get pins and needles for a while but really apart from that it didnt have any effect on me.

Oh and by the way it is rubbish about the whole if you're immune or had chicken poxs you cant get it, i have had both chicken pox and shingles. Please dont think i want to alarm you but how is your baby immune by you having had chickenpox, you can have both in your lifetime? I would get a 2nd opinion and search on the net if i was you. Dont mean to worry you just thought i'd give you my experience.

:hug:

kellysomer said:
Oh and by the way it is rubbish about the whole if you're immune or had chicken poxs you cant get it, i have had both chicken pox and shingles. Please dont think i want to alarm you but how is your baby immune by you having had chickenpox, you can have both in your lifetime? I would get a 2nd opinion and search on the net if i was you. Dont mean to worry you just thought i'd give you my experience.

:hug:

You don't catch shingles you can only catch chicken pox from a person who has got shingles....When you get shingles, it's the chicken pox you had as a child, which "hibernates" in your spine then when you're feeling run down it can appear. it's nothing to do with coming into contact with someone who has shingles or CP.
People who have never had chicken pox can't get shingles, so you HAVE to have had both.
Thats why they said the baby will be protected, because it has my immunity to chicken pox, therefore it can't catch chickenpox from my shingles. I've looked all over the net the last few days, trust me ;) Very rarely there can be complications, but the risk from shingles is miniscule compared to the risk of chickenpox when pregnant.

Hope you feel better soon babes. :hug: Glad to hear that baby won't be affected. xxx

What worry for you :( Glad that baby will be ok, but make sure you look after yourself hon and get yourself better soon :hug: :hug: :hug:

look after yaself urchin , ive always herd shingles is nasty !

if brody gets it isnt it better the younger the get it ?

G3M said:
look after yaself urchin , ive always herd shingles is nasty !

if brody gets it isnt it better the younger the get it ?

Yeah but it's his Birthday in a couple of weeks :(

Awww feel better soon Urchin :hug:

Funnily enough me and my OH were wondering what Shingles was earlier! Aww it sounds nasty, look after yourself and your babies :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back