It's not a little baby!

katjam1980

Reaction score
Quote in title from my midwife today :shock:

Well I knew my uterus was measuring above average, but today at my 34 week appointment the midwife did seem quite surprised by how big my baby feels, i am still only measuring 36cm's, so 2 cm over the average & within the tolerance, but she said there isn't much space left in there.....she's not concerned, but I bloody am!!

Anyone got any stories to make me feel better about this! I'm now hoping baby will come a couple of weeks early so that it doesn't get that much bigger!

xx

my first baby was 8lb 1.5oz, my second baby always measured 3 or 4 cm more than what i was, i never got sent for a scan i had him him 5 days late he was 8lb 2oz. my midwife was convinced he was going to be 10lb or more. my little one now is measuring 3cm more but im not concerned x

I can't help but i'm in the exact same position, measuring the same at the same dates. MW said hardly any water either all baby :S terrified haha x

Ha ha, well at least I am not the only one! It is a daunting thought, but I am sure it will all be fine, it's got to come out now regardless so little we can do about it!

Thanks MrsHakaxjdx, that does make me feel slightly less nervous!

x

Haha ive been in denial saying nope shes not coming out shes stayin in there (Like i have a say) x

Hmm, not sure if my story will make you feel better but I went for a growth scan today as i was measuring 44cms at 36 weeks - my MW said he was a "fair size" at the time. So today the scan revealed he's over 97%tile on all the charts and already weighing 8.1lbs and im only 37+3 (thats based on 12 week scan, my dates put me at 36+2weeks). I'm not sure what im going to do...they have said they will scan me again at 40+2 but i'm guessing i (we) will be gigantic by then! I'm also hoping for early too!

I'm measuring 5 cm too big and midwife said he feels big, so had a growth scan today and he is spot on normal, they estimate he will be 7.5lbs at full term, so mw's can be wrong!

Oh wow Franna75, I really hope that baba slows down it's growing now & opts to enter the world early! Although I'm not sure how accurate they can be with these weight quotations....some girls have told me that a couple of lbs doesn't actually make that much difference, either way it's gonna hurt pushing it out! It's just our destiny i suppose!

Bunnykins, that's great news for you, I'd be very happy with a 7lb 5oz baby ;)

xx

Sometimes babies can have massive growth spurts then slow down again. Plus midwifes work by their opinion so to that midwife she mat of thought it was a big baby but another may measure u differently and say somethin else. My frienf was told to expect a small baby around 5lb and she came out a whooping 8lb. Don't stress hun as its just estimate, not actually fact. Hope this helps xx

And btw its known bigger babies are easier to deliver, im 37 weeks and lo is estimated at just under 7lb already... gd job as he not got long at all now aha zx

I had my 35 weeks appt on thursday and iv had regular growth scans which have always been 3-4 weeks ahead of dates but thought that would level out. Then m/w measured my uterus at 40cm's (and all baby!!) luckily the 38 week induction is already on the cards but i must admit im getting a bit worried :S xx

Sorry to hijack lol, I always measured 3-4cm ahead of my dates and had numerous growth scans. Was advised early induction might be necessary but I wanted to go full term at least. At 40w my measurements were ok and they said they would wait. Ended up going 12 days over (natural labour tho) and he came out a very average 7lb 11oz lol. It's certainly not a science ;) one midwife afterwards said it probably wasn't baby measuring big, it was probably me, meaning I got too fat. Charming eh?! I had just questioned her ability to measure tho so guess I deserved it lol!

Good luck with all your babies! Xx

hi hun,

Ive been in the same position of you but im nearing the end now!

At 36 weeks i was sent for a growth scan i was measuring 39-40cm. During my scan they estimated that my baby was about 9 and a half ibs... scary! I was tested for gestational diabetes which came back normal so they decided to book me in to see a consultant. I saw the consultant 2 days later who decided a plan of action... i have to go for a scan at 39 weeks (next thursday) and if baby has gained half a pound or more then i have been booked in for a c section on my due date (weds 24th aug) if baby has stayed the same weight then they are going to induce me on my due date instead as they believe i may still be able to give birth naturally but they do not want me going over.

Sorry for the long reply just thought it might help to hear about a simular experience! I panicked at first too but realised that the consultant probably knows a hell of a lot more than i do!

Hope everything goes well for you
xx

Wow, we have some real bruisers hehe. I hope you get good news at the scan Hayley - i really don't want to wait until 40+2 for them to tell me its too late, he's too big and I need a C section (of course whatever is safest) i'd much rather be induced early...i was almost begging them for that, but I got the "well lets just see"!! But at the same time, i'm thinking should I just let nature take its course and that it will slow down and everything will be fine and the scan results weren't accurate....what to do.

I have an appointment at the birthing centre on Wed, when they will measure me again. I've been advised to take Primrose oil and she said if she does give me a sweep early they will insert internally. I'd not heard of that before. Glad I got some different advice, as they weren't going to let me go to the BC, but now they are saying it is possible.

More than anything I want everone to be safe, but we still have our ideal birthing scenario.....keep me posted everyone :)

ah bless you but it will be what it is, so dont worry too much x x my first was a big one at 9lb and i was only a little size 10! big babies are more robust x x

I am measuring about 3 cm more and was sent to a growth scan, mw ang gp thought he was a big baby but turns out he is on 60th centile which is not that big. I turned out to be over 95th centile on amniotic fluid so have a GTT and a follow up appointment (although mini GTT was fine).
So you never know really, they can only guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back