Isabelle/Isobelle/Isobel?!

Taboo917

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

We need some help on agreeing of spelling (to start with!)

It's still early days but we've been thinking about girls names as we've never really considered them before and have our boys name all sorted for now (Caleb Harris).

Our favourites at the moment are Lyla and Isobel/Isabelle/Isobelle but we cannot agree on how to spell it! What spelling do people prefer/think is the 'typical' way of spelling it?

We're also struggling for a middle name to go with it. For Lyla we're thinking Violet which was my Nana's name but with Isobel that seems a bit long winded so we're looking for some alternatives? Surname is Wiseman so we have to be a bit careful! Any help much appreciated! xx

I love the name but it is very popular now (that doesn't rule it out for me though)

I would spell it Isabelle personally

X

I like both names. Isobel Lyla would get my vote. That way you get to use both :D

Personally I'd go for Isabelle as it's the most popular spelling. Otherwise your daughter would have to endure a lifetime in school and beyond spelling her name for other people.

I would spell Isobel this way, its a really pretty name, it was one my list of names x :)

Personally I've always preferred the spelling Isobel. To me Isabel is Spanish and Isabelle is French, and Isabelle doesn't look right to me, I think it looks like it should be Isabella.

I also don't think it's too long-winded to use Violet as a middle name with it, I think it's beautiful!

My neice is Isabelle Jade and I love her name :) I personally think Isabelle is a prettier way of spelling the name xxx

My mother in law is Isobel and she's a wonderful person. She hates being called anything other that Isobel, people try izzy or belle etc so be prepared for people shortening it. I hate people shortening names so it's why our DD is kaitlynn. ..It can't be shortened cos her name isn't Kate! Lol.
We having a boy this time but we had chosen Lilly or belle for a girl cos I like Isobel x

That's my fear ema-lou! We don't mind shortening to Belle so much but I personally really don't like izzy....I kind of prefer the spelling Isobel that's just how I've seen it before but my OH prefers Isabelle and said if we use Isabelle there's more chance of people shortening it to Belle not Izzy which is probably a fair point.

Such a lot to consider!!!! x

My sister's baby has Isabel as a middle name, so spelled slightly differently again! Personally, I prefer Isabel or Isobel over Isabelle. I don't actually think the spelling of the name will alter what people shorten it to. It's how the name sounds, which obviously isn't affected by the spelling.

Awwwwwww lovely. I like Isabelle

I had chosen Lilia Isabella for my dd, but oh didn't care too much for it.

I think Isabelle is very pretty.

Yeah I know a few isabel's, older than me. We used to have a bad habit if shortening to isa, not such a common way to shorten these days though :)

Oh gosh megsmeadow that was one shortening I had never considered!

Was chatting to my mum on the phone last night she was going through girls names, and mentioned in passing "I had an auntie lyla I mean what kind of name is that, sounds like a lilo"........

Greeeeeeeaaaaat! lol.

I LOVE Lyla - I think it's the huge oasis fan in me! I always said if Mol would have been born on the 4th of June her name would have been Lyla. I would spell it Isabelle btw xx

I like Isabelle, its a lovely name and I think Isabelle Violet goes really well, it is very pretty x

I've just been looking up french names and came across ysabelle or ysabel, but the y is almost silent.

My niece is a Lyla :) lovely name and I also like it spelt Lilah, like a shortening of Delilah. I think Lyla Isobelle (whichever way you wish to spell it) go nicely together and I like Violet too! :D x

The most populat spelling is of course Isabella. But Isobelle sounds nice too! I love name Violet!! And i do not think it will be too long if to take it as a middle name. So Isobelle Violet sounds great to me)

We had Lyla and Isobel on our short list. I like the Isobel spelling, just because it's easier for LO to spell when they get to school.

We actually named our new baby Lyla Juliana. Then my mil came to visit at the hospital, and proceeded to tell us it was an awful name and we should just call her Lucy(also on our short list) I ended up crying for ages. She totally put oh off the name Lyla and ruined Lucy for me too as she would have thought she named her! So we called her Emma. Do love Emma, but regret not sticking with Lyla :-(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back