Is it safe to ride a bike when pregnant?

Kloe

Reaction score
Hello ladies,

So resently I brought a new bike for my OH. He wants to go bike riding all the time now.
We are currently TTC at the moment so I don't know when it could happen, the problem is, I'm extremely unfit, also my mountin bike is 10 years old and is very heavy and my OH is hard to keep up with.

Is it safe to keep riding, I get completely out of breath after 10 minutes anyway, I'm worried I'll push myself too hard and do more harm than good.

Should I stop?
Is it safe in the Frist 12 weeks also?

I'm worried I'll disappoint my OH if I stop, but I wanna do the right thing for my body and my bump (when I get one). My last pregnancy ended in a MC and I don't want the same thing to happen again.

Thanks for your time ladies x

I ride daily and have done the whole way through so far. However I rode the same amount before getting pregnant.

I have found that I've slowed up, especially around hills and my mountain bike is no longer comfortable around the bump. I ride my larger town bike (also quite heavy) and that does me well.

Exercise advice is to keep to a state where you're working, but you can maintain a conversation which I've used to help me slow up. It's a difficult one, different people have different opinions when it comes to exercise and there's no strong evidence either way. I just figured I want to stay as fit as possible throughout my pregnancy as labour will be a big exertion.

That's the thing, last week was the first time I've got on my bike since I was 17, I'm 22 now.
I really do want to keep fit, but I always have a habbit of going over the top.
I did half hour today and I can't breath and keep coughing. I'm not a smoker I'd like to mention and I have a healthy diet.
Should I just stick to walking? I'm afraid I'm doing too much all at once.

have a look at the NHS guidelines for pregnancy and exercise - that's probably a good place to start

My midwife said that when you get pregnant you can carry on doing anything that you did pre-pregnancy (within reason). So if you ran 10 miles a day before, you can carry on for as long as you feel comfortable. However, if you were a professional stunt person, maybe you should consider taking some leave lol

For now, just give yourself some time to adjust to cycling rather than walking. Take it slowly to build up your stamina and don't push yourself too hard. If you get pregnant, you can continue to do this as long as you feel comfortable.

I still cycle just as much as I did before I was pregnant but I can't go for as long without getting a stitch in my side and I get out of breath quicker.

I'd say just listen to your body, don't push yourself too hard and definitely stop when you can't breathe!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back