Is he too young??

keli

Reaction score
I really feel Coop is ready to be weaned. He's got great hand/month co-ordination, he's doubled his birth weigh. He's sooo interested when i'm eating and i know if he sat on my knee whilst i was eating he would grab and shove it all in his mouth! He can sit unaided for a few seconds but he's fine in his highchair and has been for a while now. He's so alert and loves to toot and has been since birth. I KNOW he would love the weaning process and would take to it brilliantly.. but he's only 5 mths.. i am going to do the BLW is he too young to start now?

i dont think he is too young hun if you think he needs it got for it :hug:

It's totally up to you. If you want to do BLW you're best to wait until 6 months as they've developed the ability to chew and will have completely lost the tongue thrust reflex that would push out anything solid. You'd have to bear in mind that before 6 months he'd be limited to what he can have (pretty much just fruit and veg) whereas if you were to wait he could have practically everything we do. Is he still satisfied with his feeds? If so, I'd be really tempted to stick it out for another wee while.

We weaned early and then switched to BLW at a few days off 6 months (though she didn't have gluten etc until after) and have no regrets but there was no way that she was going to wait until 6 months for food - I'd have been feeding her 8oz every hour :lol: . Just remember than you know him best :hug:

Galen was like this around 5 months and I resisted for a while longer because of the chew ability and feeding himself. TBH I didn't want to go the puree route and so eeked out another couple of weeks to be able to go with BLW.

I started weaning Galen when we was 5 1/2 months and have more or less done BLW but its been fiddly because as has been said you can only really give fruit and veg before 6 months. He had 2 servings of baby rice mixed with EBM to start and since then has had cooked veggie sticks and fruit. Its a lot of effort as until his chewing gets better he can't have small fruits like blueberries and I am avoiding pureed foods other than apple. He feeds himself that off the spoon and I've started mixing in natural yogurt also with it. And yogurt on its own. So it means roasting small amounts of food that is going to be soft enough for him to be able to bite and chew.

Also you might need to be more careful about how quickly you introduce each new food so as to make sure it agrees with him. The first week I gave Galen the same thing at least 3 times before introducing a new food.

So far her has eaten

Carrot sticks
Broccoli florets (both steamed)

Butternut squash
Parsnip
Sweet potato (all three roasted)

Celeriac

Pear (sliced into sticks)
Banana
Stewed apple (left lumpy)
Kiwi (slices of)

Natural yogurt

He isn't eating big amounts, often its more about playing with it, getting a taste and so on. We are a few days off 6 months now and I am so looking forward to being able to give him other foods now. Its been a long two and a half weeks so far.

I'd consider waiting a couple more weeks at least for the chewing factor and also the feeding himself aspect. Even though he seems keen he isn't lacking anything nutrient wise and it will mean he is closer to the age where those things will start naturally.

Thanks for the replies ladies :hug:

I think i'll hold out a little longer i did want to wait till 6mths and still might i just think he's ready and would take to it really well. I'd forgotten about the tongue reflex and didn't realise he may have difficulty in chewing before six months so for them reasons alone it seems best to wait. xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back