Is dental care free?

HeartOfGlass

Reaction score
Hi,

I moved away 18 months ago and I'm moving back home to have the baby. I have had problems with my wisdom teeth for the last year and have been seeing a dentist in London. I can't get an appointment with them in my time off which is in the next two weeks so I called my old dentist to get back with their surgery as I will be moving back home anyway and they had a convienent appointment time.

Anyway, I called them and they still had my notes etc and they booked in the appointment. The receptionist told me that I would now have to pay as I was in full time education before but I was now an independent patient. I said that was fine and the said that I was 20 weeks pregnant so how much would it be and the receptionist told me... £35?!?

I've had free prescriptions and stuff so far with my maternity exemption card so I'm a bit confused?

Does anyone know if I should get it for free or not??

Thanks,

Berry

you should get it free. i dnt no if the practice being private or not will affect that or no

I'm sure you do if you are an NHS patient.

I certainly do.

Kim x x x x x

My dentist is private and said he has to charge - but if you're with an NHS dentist it should be free.

Hi,

Thanks for that. So I just need to find a dentist that takes NHS patients in the area. I'll start on Monday.

Thanks again,

Berry

Just to warn you, I don't know what it is like in London but up here we are on a waiting lists along with thousands of others! I have no idea how many years it will be before we get an NHS dentist. However, wisdom tooth removal can be a hospital thing - OH's dentist referred him and he will get them out for free in February after being on a waiting list for over 18 months. He did have to pay for the dentist appointment though.

Hiya Heart of Glass...you can look for local NHS dentists on www.nhs.uk which should give you a lift. I was really worried I wouldn't get a dentist, but the first one I telephoned were taking on NHS patients again. I had my appointment today and just took in my maternity card thing for the press prescriptions and filled out a form. I had my teeth cleaned and everything so happy.

I have a private dentist and it was Free !

You do not have to be with an NHS dentist to get free dental care on your maternity certificate as far as I know ! .

My dentist also told me to take advantage of the free treatment, plus clean ups with the hygenist and make as many appointments as I liked !

Im with a private dentist and she told me that it is the dentist descretion (sp) as to who they treat as an NHS patient. I was lucky and she told me that as I was a loyal customer she'd see me FOC lol xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back