Free dental treatment?

lea554

Reaction score
Hello all,

Ive been having a bit of a mare trying to get hold of the excemption certificate thing. My midwife didnt have any forms, so said she would post one out, but never got round to it. So I phoned the midwife office, and the one I spoke to tried to put me off a bit! Basically, she said it wasn't worth it, and that it didnt cover me for all dental treatment anyway - in the end, she said they had no forms left, and to speak to my midwife via my doctors...

Only prob is, I have a dentist appt next week - and I have to admit, I havent been to the dentist for a looonng time, and thought I would use this opportunity to get a check-up!
I did try and cancel my appt, but the woman on the phone said I didnt really need the certificate, and I could sign instead to say I was pregnant.

Just wondering what you are entititled to, and if you have to pay, then claim it back, or you just dont have to pay? Im only after a check-up, but the way this midwife was talking, you would have thought I would be asking for a full set of veneers, lol!

Cheers girls x

As far as I could tell, you just don't pay any of the standard NHS dental charges
(listed here: http://www.nhs.uk/chq/pages/1781.aspx?categoryid=74&subcategoryid=742)

Looking at the list it certainly does cover you for all essential dental treatment. You can't have certain purely cosmetic things done on the NHS anyway (so veneers are out) but as long as you don't want anything that the surgery does privately it will all be free.

My dentist told me that I do need to show a valid maternity certificate or an exemption otherwise I'd have to pay and claim it back later

Last edited:
I had to show exemption every time-i've had a check up and then cleaned every 12 weeks whilst I was pg then got appt in march for xray,filling replacement (stuff that couldn't b done whilst I was pg)

Yeah you can get all NHS treatment for free so like the above poster said no "cosmetic" works.

This page has some information on it, but I think you just need to harrass your midwife.

Thanks guys - have kept a copy of my Mabt1 form, so will take that along, and see if that helps - and will also harrass my midwife when I see her tomorrow!
x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back