Irritable bowel syndrome attack

marie_77

Reaction score
i had a bad attack last night with servere cramps and i am so worried about my beanie.

i am still tender this morning. i called the hospital and i had some useless person on the other end asking if it felt like cramps i had with last m/c. i called for reassurance not to be made to worry more.

anyone else suffer with ibs and have any advice.

marie x
9+ 1

Hiya Marie, sorry you had such a bad night :( IBS pain is absolutely horrendous!
I also suffer with IBS, I usually take anti-spasmodic drugs to help ease the pain when it is acute, but I can't take them whilst I preggers.
Doc has just suggested dietry modifications and paracetamol when things are bad...but it doesn't really help that much. It is almost as if we have to grin and bare it :(
I sometimes find that a warm bath helps soothe my tummy or a warm water bottle on my lower back.

I hope you are felling ok soon :hug: :hug:

Aww I suffer with that aswell, I feel for you! I only get mine when I'm stressed. Agree with Happybunny, a bath or hot water bottle is good. I just suffer :( I've been in hospital with it on more than 1 occassion, and I've had some time off work which led to a verbal warning. People don't really accept it as a proper condition :(

Hi there,

I suffer from chronic IBS which seems to have got a bit better during pregnancy. I am still taking my medication which is buscopan but no where near as often. I discussed this with my GP and he said it is fine as long as I don't take them often and don't use Immodium for diarrhoea which was another of my constant symptoms.

I hope you feel better soon. xxx

I suffer from it too so :hug: . I like using one of those grain filled hot packs that you can microwave as that fit nicely over your tum, also lying down flat can help. Paracetamol is ok while you're pg. I take peppermint pills when I'm not pregnant (too strong to take when you are I think) but you might get some relief from peppermint tea, it's worth a go.

Hope you feel better soon hun
I agree, stress always does it for me, and cow's milk
+++

thanks ladies your posts have helped ease my mind. my attack was triggered by something new that i ate and i got attact within 10 mins. i struggled to get up from my chair it was really bad.

spoke to a locum after one at hospital and he said cramps wont harm baby do u guys feel the same i am wooried cramps had an effect on beanie

marie 9+1

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: Some people seem to suffer less when pg, hopefully you'll be one of them

NIE said:
Hi there,

I suffer from chronic IBS which seems to have got a bit better during pregnancy. I am still taking my medication which is buscopan but no where near as often. I discussed this with my GP and he said it is fine as long as I don't take them often and don't use Immodium for diarrhoea which was another of my constant symptoms.

how come ur still taken buscopan , my docs firmly told me it was a huge no no :shock:

i too tho have felt some ibs releif while preggy so far

I normally take buscopan when I need to (which isn't often as long as I don't have caffeine). The doctor told me that I would have to weigh up the risks of taking it - if I was in pain for a few hours it wouldn't make sense to take it as the risk would outweigh the benefit. But if I was in agony for days it would be better for the bump if I did take it, to reduce the stress I think.
I don't know if this is any help! I used to take psyllium husk, which is a herbal remedy. It was fantastic and I forgot to ask my doctor if it is safe during pregnancy. You can get it in capsules from Holland and Barratt. Basically the bits of psyllium husk expand in your intestines and block bad bits. Or something like that. It sounds scary the way I put it, it's not - it's like ready brek!

G3M said:
NIE said:
Hi there,

how come ur still taken buscopan , my docs firmly told me it was a huge no no :shock:

i too tho have felt some ibs releif while preggy so far

I used to be on 6-8 pills a day and I am now only taking 1 when I really need it. I was advised about weighing up the benefits and risks like Kalia was. I suffer from anxiety and depression during bad IBS attacks, so it is best for both me and baby to keep the attacks at bay.

My midwife is aware of me taking the Buscopan too, and she doesn't see a problem as long as I'm only taking them when I really need them.

I should also say that there are a lot of bowel probs in my family and it is possible that I have an underlying problem that hasn't been detected yet.

I am a member of an IBS support group and have been told that some members IBS disapeared alltogether after pregnancy. I hape I'm one of them. xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back