Introducing Your Child to Your Newborn

bwakeling

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm writing a piece for Parentdish on the different techniques and tips parents use to make the introduction of an existing child to a new baby as smooth as possible.

What did you do to prepare your kid for the new arrival? What were your main fears? And how did it all go in the end?

I know we were really worried about introducing our toddler (Isaac) to his little brother...but in the end it was fine! Isaac just walked in to the room, looked at the baby, laughed, and walked off!

Your stories would be appreciated - if you would like me to use your name in the article please write it at the end along with where you're from.

Thanks guys/girls!

Ben x

I wasn't worried as my daughter (6) has always been very loving and, well I guess the best word would be, maternal. Whenever there was a baby in the vicinity she would gravitate towards them! Our only tiny concern was the fact that she wanted a sister and ended up with a brother. Once he arrived, however, she didn't care!

Her first time meeting her brother was at the hospital and you could practically see her fingers itching to touch and hold him! Thankfully that interest has stayed so far (he's now 5 weeks and 4days old) and she is really really helpful! She loves to get his things ready, like his clothes and nappies, and still likes her cuddles!

One thing we did do was buy her a little something from her brother and she absolutely cherishes it! We also try to do things all together as well as have specific time just for her.

I feel very lucky that she has adjusted and reacted the way that she has, especially after being an only child for 6 years!

We always brought a small pressie from baby to the older child, like a sticker book etc , something that amuses them at the hosp buying us parent time together. They always brought a balloon in to hosp for baby or a first soft toy for the hosp cot which they enjoyed. When home we over did the special time with the older one/ones to ensure they did not feel pushed out, and they ended up gaining not loosing in parent time so all was good. Bottle feeding time, was story time on the sofa or playdough time at the table, so they thought babies were great! When we had a 13 month old and a newborn, we had to buy a travel cot for the lounge and put the bouncer seat in that, so I could leave the room, without my 13 mth old squishing the baby with too much loving!

Top tip - the cardboard bed pan things you get in hospitals are just perfect shape for Cowboy hats, and my eldest boy loved it, would go and get one from the pile of new ones as soon as he got to hospital when visiting! I have loads of photos of him in it when looking at baby in the cot!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back