Introducing a bottle at 12 weeks.

floppit

Reaction score
I've decided to give expressing a try. I've read the expressing sticky for help with getting the milk - I'm only getting 1 oz after huge effort but that doesn't matter yet 'cos liitle one won't even take that from a bottle.

On the upside I don't NEED to feed EBM so there's no real pressure if I've left it a little too late to introduce a teat, but I'd like hubby to be able to feed. Freya (bub) doesn't seem to get upset and she sometimes seems to try to suck but nothing seems to leave the bottle. Hubby reckons the hole in the teat might be too small but I think it's because she doesn't seem to 'want' it - her effort looks half hearted.

She's not a fussy eater on the breast, she's always latched on fine - we never had any feeding problems.

Any tips?

BTW - Hubby doesn't want to do it on his own if she's crying, he works quite long hours and has a good relationship as the super winder, bather etc. He doesn't want the much smaller time he gets with her to be a battle over food. Just thought I'd mention as someone in my BIBS group suggested me leaving the room and letting her scream it out with him till she gave in.

Hiya hun
I can give you a list of things i have tried with my LO to try and get her to take EBM from a bottle. She hasnt took to it, she just chews the teats :roll:

Try different teats/bottles
Try the milk at different temps
Warm the teats
Hold baby in similar position to breastfeeding

The other thing i did try was to breastfeed her then take her off the boob and put the bottle straight in her mouth. Didnt work for me but may work for you.

TBH the only reason i wanted Calleigh to take from a bottle is for when i go back to work. Gonna have to rethink how she will take milk nearer the time.

I also tried the leaving the room and letting OH get on with it, but as she just cried i felt bad for OH as she started to associate the bottle with daddy and cried everytime he held her :cry:
I tried giving her the bottle, again she didnt want to know.

Good Luck hun :)

I'll try the easy ideas first, like different temps etc and then see. If I stumble over anything ace I'll let you know too - maybe some genius will post how to do it here... :dance:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back