What to do with the dog **UPDATE**

Diet and exercise are important factors. A puppy should be on a quality high protein food like science plan or CSJ. Loads of walks should help with the extra energy. It will help you get fit for labour too! I was walking my JRT for 3 hours a day right up until the day I had Hannah and it really helped keep me fit and also help Molly (the JRT) feel as though she wasn't missng out.

When I was pregnant with Temperance I was kinda worried about how giddy and bouncy Ozzy was. He's a 4 year old Staffy. We stuck with the spray bottle training and he eventually understood what he could and couldn't do certain things to different people.

When I was in hospital having Tempy, my hubby did what I think was a very important part of training.
He collected up some of Tempy's dirty clothes and put them in a pile in the living room, if Ozzy went near them Ian (OH) would let him sniff them for a few seconds then tell him 'No' and spray him in the face with the bottle. By the end of the day he picked up that he could sniff and nothing else. So when we brought Tempy home he sniffed her in the car seat and then curled up on his bed as if she was nothing new because he knew her smell already.
As I type now they are both asleep on the floor, Tempy on her playmat and Ozzy next to her. Bless!

If you know someone close who's just had a baby you could possibly get a head start or see if this method would work. You'd need something with baby smell (worn, sicky, possibly had a dirty nappyin it - I know it's gross!) and then put it with one of your worn t-shirts so there's a baby smell and your smell there. Try the method as above. If you try it now there's a good chance it will work later on too, and if it doesn't work and he just chews, licks, dives all over the clothing you know you've got enough time left to try other methods.

This way worked for us and friend who's due in a month who has a 14 month old Black Lab.

Hayley xx

Thanks so much to everybody for all your help and advice. It's nice to know that I'm not the only one who has been in this situation. I think I will wait until nearer the time the baby comes to make a final decision. This will give me the chance to try out what you have all suggested and make a better judgement on whether I can cope with both the dog and the baby. I will keep you posted on his progress. Thanks again :hug:

Please try not to use a water spray unless advised to or supervised by a trainer as it is classed as aversive training which can have the opposite effect on some dogs and make them nervous and aggressive. It does work wonders for some dogs but without your dog being assessed first it may cause you problems.

^^I didn't know that! ^^

We were reccomended to do it by a friend of ours who is a Dog Handler for the RAF.
I assumed it was a standard way of training a dog.
Sorry.

Hayley xx

Its ok... I wasn't telling you off :hug:

As I said, it can really work wonders for some dogs, but for others it just makes them behave through fear rather than respect.

Hiya, I got my dog as a puppy when I was 4 months pregnant and he was also super hyper and active. Instead of stressing I used my free time to take him for a long walk every day (good for me and dog!) and went to dog training classes. I thought it was the perfect time to have a dog as he was still young enough when Layla was born to adapt to a baby in the house. I found having him around great when I was pregnant as it kept me active and occupied. By the time Layla was born I had put so much time into training and exercising him that he is a complete saint around Layla and very obedient.

Remember that your dog is a baby himself and he needs mental and physical stimulation and a strong hand to keep him in check. He is still young and will mature and calm down. Just make sure he has enough physical stimulation as being a lab he will have lots of energy and need to go for a long walk everyday.

If you really don't feel you have the time and energy for him then I think it is best for him and you that you find him a new home where he can get what he needs.

Its a real shame you feel you need to rehome him, but your baby's and your safety should always come first and if you feel you cannot cope then you have made the right decision. Where in the UK are you? I can see if I can help rehome him. In the meantime, did you try changing his food? It can make so much difference and may help him calm down. Try Hills Science Plan puppy food, you can buy it in Pets at Home. Also lots of long walks will drain his energy.

I spoke to the labrador rescue woman and she suggested that neutering him could really make a difference. I've managed to find a local vet that will do this for £30 on a special scheme they have going and so I'm going to try to see if this will improve things.

His diet probably isn't helping, as you say Jenny. At the moment he is on a working dog mix rather than the Chudleys Junior we had him on before. This is because it was half the price and since I got laid off we have really had to cut back. Yet I'm worried that because it is for working dogs the energy content will be very high, which is just going to make him more hyperactive. I have heard that Hills is excellent but I simply cannot afford it at the moment. If anybody has a suggestion of a good junior dried food that isn't too pricey it would really help!

I've just got my fingers crossed that neutering will make a real difference because it's a bit of a last resort really :pray:

I really hope the neuturing works for him. It sounds like you are devested with having to maybe rehome him. I had to rehome my cat as she was abit temperamental and would not have been good around a baby (i rescued her) Luckily for me my mum and dad had her and she is spoilt rotten!

At least you are trying everything before going through with it. That way you know you tried your best.

Claire x

Hun you have to do whats right for you - and I say that as a lab lover!! Dont feel bad you have done the hard thing making the decision !! Now the best thing you can do is make sure he has the best life and a lovely home to go to xxBig hugs I know it cant have been an easy decision so feel for you big style

Becc said:
**UPDATE**

Well, I have made my decision and unfortunately that means the dog has to be rehomed. This comes after he has knocked me over a couple of times, one time really hurting my leg, through being very boisterous. I'm heart broken but I feel like I just can't put my baby at risk, not to mention that I've been limping around since this morning as well. If he can knock me over, he can knock over a crib or a baby walker and I just would never forgive myself if harm came to our child because I was hanging on to the dog... I have to prioritise. He's a great dog, very loving, but he just isn't suitable for us and our situation at the moment.

I'm going to call the breeder this afternoon to see if he knows anybody who would be willing to take him and if not I'll be contacting labrador rescue. I feel so guilty, like I have let the dog down or something, and it's tearing me apart but I just can't take any more and the sooner I know he has gone to a good home, the sooner I can start to get used to him not being around and concentrate on the baby. I still have two cats and I should be thankful for them I suppose.

As I said in my earlier post hun I had to rehome our dogs when I was expecting our first and it is heartbreaking and I still feel guilty about it but it is best for the dog as well as you. So don't let anyone give you a hard time about it as long as you are responsible about re-homing him which you are being no-one has any right to criticise you for it :hug: :hug: :hug:

Thanks everybody for the kind words. I do feel really guilty but at the same time I think the only reason I am holding onto him is that I don't want to feel sad. He'll be happier with somebody who doesn't have so much else going on and can devote the time and committment he needs and I know OH will be happier too without the stress of worrying that he will really hurt me or the baby.

I asked about getting him neutered and giving him another chance but OH said he doesn't think it will really help as the problem isn't sex-related and that it isn't just him being boisterous that's the problem. We also have to think about the cost of keeping him, the time and effort he requires and the fact that I'm not able to rest when I need to with him around because he is so demanding. Of course he is right, it's just so hard to let go.

We are taking him to labrador rescue probably this weekend. I'm not going to the centre because I already broke down on the phone to them and will probably just make a huge idiot of myself. I think that once he is gone I will be ok, it's just the thought of it that is worse... taking him away and it's no longer any of your business what happens to him :(

He is a lovely dog though and I'm sure that he will be snapped up very quickly, especially as he is so young.

You have to do what you feel is right hun. I know how sad it is as I had a Great Dane when I was pregnant with Maddison and she kept knocking me over and throwing me against a wall (playing not being nasty) so we rehomed her before Maddison was born. I just hope you dont go through what I did and regret your decision as I still want Lana back to this day and wish I had persevered with her more :(

I know some people who have taken dogs from labrador rescue and they are lovely people who have given the dogs a great new home. Labrador rescue are really good at vetting people and making sure that the dogs have the best possible new home. It will be sad to say good bye to your dog but i'm sure he will find a loving home and make another family very happy.

Neutering will help, its not just about sex (typical men!!) The hormones will cause him to be boisterous. A cheap quality dried food is CSJ, just google CSJ and you can buy it cheap off the net - its not widely available in pet stores but maybe a local pet store could get some in for you if you ask. Get the puppy one as its high in protein, check the protein content of his food, it should be at least 20% for a puppy. Most supermarket dog foods are only around 7% which can cause problems just like the ones you're describing.

Good luck with rehoming him, I'm sure he will be fine and he'll go to a loving family. The rescue centre will neuter him before they rehome him so I'm sure he'll calm down eventually.

Snuggle said:
You have to do what you feel is right hun. I know how sad it is as I had a Great Dane when I was pregnant with Maddison and she kept knocking me over and throwing me against a wall (playing not being nasty) so we rehomed her before Maddison was born. I just hope you dont go through what I did and regret your decision as I still want Lana back to this day and wish I had persevered with her more :(

This is what would stop me I think but I absolutely think you have to do what you feel is right hon you've thought about this a lot :hug: :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back