Baby and dogs

Alexa000

Reaction score
Hi me and my partner are expecting our first baby.We have two kings Charles dogs.We are not worried about the dogs with the baby more worried about if we will be able to cope.If anyone has been through it how did you cope and is it as hard as everyone is telling us it will be cause of the dogs.Thanks

Last edited:
Hi we have a king Charles too (she is nearly 3) when my DD was born last year (so the dog was still a puppy) we were worried about the same thing especially as we lived in a flat at the time so couldn't just let the dog into the garden if we couldn't walk her.we found that as soon as we brought the baby home from hospital we let the dog sniff and investigate the car seat and the baby(obviously with us watching!) I spoke 2 our vet who said that this was the best way 2 settle the dog due to the big changes that were going on!I found it hard at first when walking with the dog and pushchair but after a few trips out it became easy and now the dog and my DD love each other!although the dog stays with my parents one night every few weeks so the dog can get a rest from being chased around all day lol!hope this helps ease your concerns.

:)

We have two staffys and tbh they adjusted better than we did to having a baby round the house. I honestly dont find it any harder with a baby than i did before we had him. Youll be just fine hun xxx

My piece of shit galaxy ace

I have a dog and she was fine with the lo. All I would say is although you want them to keep a distance from the lo I would let the dog sniff around the baby so they know what it is. My dog used to peek into his Moses basket and then wander off once she realised he was in there. She used to try and find him when he wasn't in there. The jealousy comes with them beig left out. I would also get guests to great the dogs before the baby to start with too.

We brought our LO into a houseful of dogs and cats!!

I did alot of training with them before she arrived, sharpened up on their manners and responses to commands, borrowed a buggy to take for walks to get them used to it, put the changing mat on the floor and taught them to 'back off' and completely disrupted their walk/training/feeding routine!!

All 8 dogs were introduced to baby one by one on the second day she was home, however on the first day I went into the kitchen with them to have cuddles and obviously there was a different smell around!!

My dogs are used to baby gates and being in a different room to us anyway but that really is one thing I would highly recommend you do.

My older/gentler dogs are allowed around her to sniff and she touches them now, but I don't allow licking of her face!

TBH the dogs have really adjusted well to her being around - today we have been on a car journey with two of the dogs who spent the whole journey peering over the back seat looking at her, much to her amusement!!

There's 3 dogs in our house a great Dane (mine) and 2 mini schnauzers dh's) the little ones are disobedient and hard work my GD has impeccable manners. I struggle with the hooligans as I'm on mat leave so the little ones are going x

i have 3 dogs, 2 border collie crosses and a king charles. the kc is in the house all the time with me as thats what he was used to when i got him 2 months before baby was born, hes a lovely little guy and so loving. hes been great with lo from the start, he sniffs her and checks on her when she cries and like cazza i dont let any of the dogs lick her face if i can help it, they get told no if they try. the other 2 are bigger and nervier so theyre just in the house of an evening and spend other parts of the day either in the kitchen where they are used to sleeping and being or out in the garden. if im home they will be let in more obviously since im on mat leave they have been in a lot more but they can be overexcitable if there are visitors or baby is particularly fussy, one is a terribly restless girl while the other is much more chilled but they have always been together and so i dont split them up either. the important thing is to never leave them alone in a room with lo, for any reason, ever. no matter how good a dog is they can still get scared or angry and so cant be trusted 100%

We have 2 border collies and a toddler and another baby on the way. We got first dog when I was pregnant with baby #1 and 2nd dog when I was pregnant with baby #2!

I won't lie, it is hard work. THe dogs need 2 big walks a day, and this is the hard work beause it is time consuming and a massive commitment. We are used to it though and wouldn't be without our dogs.

I think if you want it to work, it will xxxxxx

the important thing is to never leave them alone in a room with lo, for any reason, ever. no matter how good a dog is they can still get scared or angry and so cant be trusted 100%

This is so true. Probalby, in alot of instances, children get hurt by dogs because the dog is scared and defending itself from the child. Our LO is now 16 months and he, not intentionally, but nevertheless, torments our dogs and our cat. We are teaching him to be gentle, but he doens't understand exactly. The cat is very tolerant of him, but the dogs are so nervous we would never leave them alone together. Our 2 year old dog stays out of his way generally, unless LO is feeding hm biscuits lol, but our 8 month old puppy has looked like he would snap at him a few times so they absolutely cannot be left alone.

My dogs a cocker spaniel and a working dog so is real hard work, he needs big big walks and even then he doesn't calm down, he's 1 n half so still a baby. He stays in our kitchen and has run of garden too he comes in living room most evenings. I would recommend stair gates when there little dogs, mine jumps them along with our 5ft fences in garden! I deffo think we would have got a calmer dog something that didn't need so much exercise but hindsight is a wonderful thing!! X

Hey.. we have a Border Collie and were a bit unsure what he would be like with a baby and coping with a baby and a dog, But all is fine on both parts. The dog loves the baby and i suppose thats always a good thing but with the coping part nothing was different to before we had the baby tbh xx

We have a border terrier and (excuse my french) he is as soft as shit!! BUT we were still worried about how he would adjust as he got spoiled before F was here! He has adjusted really well... apart from one minor blip where he growled at F... to be fair to him she did pull herself up on him but still he did get smacked for it..

Its harder for him now that she is mobile as when he tries to stay out of her way she is there right next to him again so i think he gets a bit peed off... hes such a grumpy old man!!

With walking him, it is harder but were lucky with the fact that we have someone who comes round and walks him for us!!

Hope your 2 dogs adjust well... they will surprise you!

I've got a Rottweiler and a staffy cross. The Rottweiler is lovely with her. A sniff of her and he walks away. The staff still tries to get a bit too involved but he's getting there. Like the ladies have said don't leave the baby and dogs in the same room alone no matter what. And also make sure you introduce the dogs to the baby and don't just shoo them away they all need to get used ti eachother. And make sure you give them asmuch attention as you can you don't want them feeling left out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back