boxer dogs!!!!

NICCI

Reaction score
just wondering if anyone has a boxer dog and a baby!!!

i have a heard a lot of mixed stories, i know by nature boxer dogs r very excitable and bouncy!!
mine is 1 yr old and he doesnt have a viscious bone in his body, but ppl r telling me horror stories and i really dont want to get rid of him he is like my lil baby!!!

anyone got any views or experiances!!!

My exes partner has a boxer. He is young though. But seems to be fine around her baby neice.

I have not got one myself, so do not have any personal experience. I am a chicken and they make me scared :rotfl:

lol

I have only just learnt to relax around staffs of friends and families. Have not had much to do with boxers. Will have to be my next challenge :rotfl:

I don't have a boxer but I do have a grouchy schnauzer :D I think the key thing is to prepare your dog for the new arrival. Make sure that your dog is well trained. There is a good article here that will help with a few key points.

My midwife also suggested that after you return from the hospital, because your dog will be really pleased to see you, make sure you go in and say hello first before you attempt to introduce the baby. Then when you do introduce the baby, let the dog sniff a foot first whist still on the lead and under control.

Above all, I am not going to leave my LO and the dog alone together until Oscar is old enough to understand that he must respect the dog. Many dogs attack children because they are being teased or hurt.

I have no boxer experience but when Lucy was born, before we introduced her to my parent's dog my mum brought a scrap of material to the hospital, left it in Lucy's crib so it got her smell on it over night and then took it home and put it in the dog's bed. This meant by the time we took Lucy to see the dog the smell was familiar?

I think it worked quite well as he wasn't as curious or bothered about sniffing her after the first time.

thats really good advice!!!

that article is really good!!!!!!!!
thank u ladies i feel better now!!!!!!! :D :D :D

i can imagine axl being like that he has been really gentle with me and my bump!!! :)

Boxers are very bouncy by nature. Temperament wise they should be ok. Its things like them jumping up and possibly knocking into a toddler sort of thing I'd think you'd have to watch out for. Maybe the play biting or chasing after a running kiddie (not to hurt them but to play).

I'd say it was a case of training and your LO growing up with the dog and learning the rules together.

I dont have a boxer but i do have a german shepherd puppy who is big and bouncy, he does knock my son over and does put him jaws around his arms and legs, but he doesnt do it as hard to him as he does to me or my oh so he is just trying to play. It is very hard work though with the both of them and more often than not at the moment he ends up in the dining room until the baby is asleep just so that baby can play with out being followed or knocked over.

I think while your baby is very small and mostly in your arms or cot/moses it should be pretty easy and you can train the dog not to nip or bound around baby by the time they are walking.

As everyone else has said the most crucial thing is getting dog ready for baby any changes that will happen when baby comes along i.e. dog not sleeping in bedroom should be done well before baby comes so the dog doesnt asociate changes with the baby, Im sure they will both be fine, its very important never to leave a young child alone unsupervised with a dog even a really friendly good natured one it could take something as small as a baby poking them in the eye or yanking on their tail to make them bite in pain and shock and that wouldnt be good for dog or baby!! :hug: :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back