Intermittent Period like Pains? What does it mean?

Neev

Reaction score
Most of this afternoon I have felt similar pains to what I would experience a day before - 1st day of my Periods...not cramps but pains in the lower part of the abdomen.

Along with that I have lower back pain. Is this quite normal for us to experience?

We had the 4D scan on Sunday which was absolutely amazing but only got very tiny glimpses of his face because he was hiding the features behind his hand (30 minute appointment) - he just did not want us to see him clearly. Did laugh at one point and he seems fine, fit and healthy. So I am not sure if I should just let this pain issue pass or if this is anything unusual?

Any advice would be much appreciated... :roll:

It could be nothing, or it could be something (very helpful i know)

I'd monitor the pains and if they get worse then mention them to midwife. I've been having pains that i would associate with the day before AF (may be different to yours tho) for a while, and now i always spend the evening with lower back pain and period cramps.

If you have midwife soon mention it, pain isnt nice, even if its normal

Hmm.. well I have constant lower back pain but I always put that down to the SPD. Could your abdomen pains be braxton hicks? Not sure whether that is possible as I don't think I've had any yet. I agree with Clare, it would be worth mentioning to your midwife just to be on the safe side :hug:

Glad your 4D went well, did you get any pictures we could look at? :D

I've had the sort of dull ache of period pains on and off for a few days at the bottom of my bump...not cramps. I had similar pains around 6-8 weeks and the doc said that it was probably just the uterus stretching. So I've assumed that my LO has moved to a position that stretches that area again.

Bubalu said:
I had similar pains around 6-8 weeks and the doc said that it was probably just the uterus stretching.

I like the fact thet actually told you that, when i mentioned exactly the same thing i was told i was having a miscarriage! AND the women went on to basically tell me not to be upset cos it was my own fault for testing too early!

(sorry i'm just still a little angry about that lol)

Thanks ladies-

I am tucked up in bed...

abcd- when did you start experiencing your period like pains? I will mention it to MW but it is so strange this started this afternoon when I had MW last week, Consultants appointment this morning and suddenly this afternoon the pains start - typical eh. I will monitor it for 24 hours and if things dont settle will ring the MW.

Mildly - I dont think this is Braxton hicks because that I have felt a few times down there if you know what I mean :think: I was ok with back pain, I could kinda blame it on having weaker bones during pregnancy as explained by consultant but now the front portion - yes think MW needs to hear of this. Yes we got some lovely pictures, I will add those tonight/tomorrow. It was so worth it, we were in fits of giggle...

Bubalu - I think you are right. If I remember rightly then I did get these stretching pains in the first trimester and usually got scared thinking oh noo...but then was told it was due to uterus stretching. I am also wondering if this is the baby growing rapidly now and so the weight is stretching the tummy/uterus more than it has coped with so far?

abcd1234 said:
I like the fact thet actually told you that, when i mentioned exactly the same thing i was told i was having a miscarriage! AND the women went on to basically tell me not to be upset cos it was my own fault for testing too early!

Gosh I wish they would sometimes be a little more sensitive and not just assume :x ... I dont think there is any such thing as "testing too early" :lol:

abcd1234 said:

I'm not surprised you're angry. My doc did book me in for a scan and warned me about the early miscarraige rate (I was bleeding too at the time - implantation I expect now) but he was very nice about it and tried to put my mind at rest.

Sharne - I think Braxton Hicks is around Pubic bone? Or am I wrong in thinking that...its like guessing what your body is doing :doh:

Actually come to think of it - what do contractions actually feel like? My dad asked me over the weekend - How will you know you are in labour? To that my mum said - OH SHE WILL KNOW..trust me She WILL know. But then that got me thinking - how will I know they are actually contractions...does your body literally contract and then give way and so on? Silly question but my sister started her labour pains and gave birth within minutes, same for my mum.

:think: They do say we follow the women in the family..so..hmm..20 minutes? No.....yikes

My period pains starts around 30 weeks, cos i remember posting about it too and getting lots or replies from ladies further on saying they also experienced it.

BH are difficult to explain, my belly goes very hard, and i benerally feel a bit sick, like when you go on the banana boat rides at a theme park and you hit the top, you stomach lurches, my heart rate also increases during them. I think other people experience them differently though

Neev said:
Sharne - I think Braxton Hicks is around Pubic bone? Or am I wrong in thinking that...its like guessing what your body is doing :doh:

BH's are like a tightening across your bump. Not down low in the pubic area. Mine used to be from top of bump down, kind of like everything went tight for a while.

Sherlock from what you are describing this could be my first few experiences of BH maybe....thanks for the explaination...

Clare from your description I am also having similar stuff...and round about the same time coz I am almost 29 weeks

BH apprantly dissappear if you get up and wlk around, real contractions don't that's appraently how you know the difference, but as i haven't had either in am only going on what i was told in NCT class.

sandi

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back