I'm worrying already!!

Snuggle

Reaction score
I have only just got my BFP and I'm already worrying about breastfeeding :( Maddison wouldnt latch so she wasnt breastfed and I got quite depressed about it. The big problem I have is that I have small flat nipples :oops: I really want to try breastfeeding this baby, is there anything I can do to help myself with this problem? I tried the Niplette last time and it was useless as they kept falling off :wall:
Thank you :hug:

I just wanted to say I was the same! From almost the minute I got my BFP i was in a tiz about BF! Ive calmed down since and just keeping with if I can then great if I cant then its not the end of the world! :hug: I hope the info you found helps!!

Thank you hun, have decided I will get nipple shields towards end of pregnancy and use them if needed and if I still cant do it then so be it. I really dont want to get depressed about it again :(
Thank you for reply hun :hug: :hug:

One of the most important things is the second your LO is born is to put him/her to the breast within moments...let them root for the nipple though. It will really help get things going... and remember baby goal posts... you plan to bf'd for the first 3 days.... then if you get there set another goal post :hug: Don't freak yourself out with the idea that you will be bfing until 2 years . :hug:

Thank Squiglet, I've often wondered if this is one of the reasons Maddison didnt take to breastfeeding as she was taken away straight away and wasnt given to me to try feed for a couple of hours :think:
Thank you for reply hun :hug: :hug:

Snuggle said:
The big problem I have is that I have small flat nipples :oops:

Nipple shields... I would highly recommend!! (they were my breastfeeding saviour, I probably couldn't have managed without them) :D

I was going to ask you about these actually hun as I remember reading about you using them. Which do you recommend and any particular technique to using them? :hug:

I probably did it all wrong but it worked for me so I took on views but carried on doing it my way. The only ones in my Mothercare were Avent ones but they're probably all the same. I just put them on before a feed and let him feed away on them - the nipples sort of grow to the size of the shield, swell out a bit and are really sensitive after a feed but it's ok they go back down. I think officially you're meant to let them suck for a bit to 'pull' the nipple out a bit, then take them off and let them feed straight on the nipple, but it was too sensitive so I left them on and it was fine. That was the only way I fed him, we didn't do it 'normally' without them but I didn't care as it worked fine for us and I didn't feel any need to do it any other way... lasted 7 months (our choice to stop, not lack of supply or anything) and we could have gone on longer just fine so don't let people tell you it naffs up your supply - maybe they do but we managed just fine that's for sure.

Re: sterilising, I washed them and cleaned them out with a teat brush, and sterilised as per other bottles and breast pump. Then to keep them ok for the next feed I got one of those tiny little storage tubs with clip on lids (or a weaning bowl and lid, anything small and lidded really) and kept them in there. Also handy for taking out in public cos you can just keep them in a tiny pot.

Anything else just lemme know but my OH still claims it's the best £5 he ever spent lol :) Worth a try if nothing else x

leckershell said:
I probably did it all wrong but it worked for me so I took on views but carried on doing it my way. The only ones in my Mothercare were Avent ones but they're probably all the same. I just put them on before a feed and let him feed away on them - the nipples sort of grow to the size of the shield, swell out a bit and are really sensitive after a feed but it's ok they go back down. I think officially you're meant to let them suck for a bit to 'pull' the nipple out a bit, then take them off and let them feed straight on the nipple, but it was too sensitive so I left them on and it was fine. That was the only way I fed him, we didn't do it 'normally' without them but I didn't care as it worked fine for us and I didn't feel any need to do it any other way... lasted 7 months (our choice to stop, not lack of supply or anything) and we could have gone on longer just fine so don't let people tell you it naffs up your supply - maybe they do but we managed just fine that's for sure.

Re: sterilising, I washed them and cleaned them out with a teat brush, and sterilised as per other bottles and breast pump. Then to keep them ok for the next feed I got one of those tiny little storage tubs with clip on lids (or a weaning bowl and lid, anything small and lidded really) and kept them in there. Also handy for taking out in public cos you can just keep them in a tiny pot.

Anything else just lemme know but my OH still claims it's the best £5 he ever spent lol :) Worth a try if nothing else x

Brilliant, thank you so much :hug: :hug: Its a long way off yet but dont want to spend the pregnancy worrying about it. I will relax now and think positive that baby and I will be able to do it :hug: :hug:

Nipple shields saved me too! I wasn't aware I have small nipples but apparently I do

I used the Avent ones but they kept fallling off so switched to the Mam ones and they are so much better

leckershell said:

I want to thank you too! I was wondering if nipple shields would help me and now I see its definitely worth giving them a try if we have trouble :hug: :hug:

That would be great when the time comes, I have ages til birth yet so will hunt for you when the time comes :wink:

Squiglet said:
One of the most important things is the second your LO is born is to put him/her to the breast within moments...let them root for the nipple though. It will really help get things going... and remember baby goal posts... you plan to bf'd for the first 3 days.... then if you get there set another goal post :hug: Don't freak yourself out with the idea that you will be bfing until 2 years . :hug:

Another important thing is to get help! If you're stuggling there are people like the Leche League or your health visitor.

i also have flat nipples.. and i couldnt get on with nipple sheilds.. and trust me i nagged shell to death about nipple sheilds. i found that if i pumped before the feed for a few seconds it would draw the nipple out.. however.. to breastfeed you need all the aerola in the babies mouth.. the baby will draw the nipple out his/her self all i will say is get support.. lots of it.. pre-natal if you can.. thats what i did and i fed sucessfully for 5 months.. apparently.. inverted/flat nipples shouldnt stop any mum from feeding as the bbay doesnt feed off the nipple.. iykwim xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Currish
Back