I'm worrying already!!

congrats on your BFP hon!!!!

i've got v small nipples, and v small areola too, so i use nipple shields. connor is completely incapable of feeding without them... i only wish that someone had suggested i used them sooner. my HV and midwives were v anti at the start, despite the fact that connor was losing weight - they wanted me to feed him formula instead :evil: leckershell was my saviour at the time :wink: :cheer:

anyhoo, here we are 8 months later and still going strong. i use the mam shields and advise everyone who needs shields to try them cos IMHO they're the best ones... the avent ones are ok but i found they didn't stick v well, and the medela ones are huuuuge and i worried that they would have a negative affect on my flow. the mam ones do a great lick-&-stick which is fab for night feeds when i want to keep on sleeping :D :D jojomamanbebe sell them in their shops, or you can buy them online.

i used to sterlise them when connor was tiny, although i realise now that a good wash in v hot water would have been sufficient. now i just rinse them out in between feeds and keep them in the box that they come in.

disadvantages to shields? well, i worried about my flow a lot at the start (because of the midwives/HV telling me that shields would affect it) so i took loads of fenugreek tablets just in case - FWIW i never actually had a problem at all so the worry was needless. also, its not as simple to be discreet when feeding in public cos you've got to get them stuck on before baby latches - it gets much easier with practice though!

i would say give it a go without them first. then, if you're having problems, try the advice that leckershell gave - use them at the start of the feed then take them off during. and if that doesn't work, then just use them full time :D :D as squig says, set small goal posts - it makes it much easier.

try not to worry yourself honey!! we'll all be around for support should you need it :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Thank you so much for the fantastic replies, really makes me feel much more positive about it all. I will be delivering in a Midwife led unit this time hopefully where the breastfeeding support is supposed to be great and if not then will be in a different hospital from last time. The hospital last time gave up on me really quickly and just told me to use formula :( The hospital I'll use this time if need be a very pro breastfeeding so hopefully the support is much better :wink:
Thanks girls :hug: :hug:

Snuggle said:
The hospital last time gave up on me really quickly and just told me to use formula :( The hospital I'll use this time if need be a very pro breastfeeding so hopefully the support is much better :wink:

Definately really important :D I was briefly in Leic General last time and they were cr*p, no support and told me when I was struggling to just give formula, grr :shakehead:
There is a lady who works at St Mary's birth centre in Melton called Jackie who is brilliant, a real breastfeeding guardian angel. She works on the ward as a new mother support and is brilliant at helping out with breastfeeding problems. You would be able to go there, even if you don't want to to give birth, you could transfer there straight after to get the support you need, maybe worth it?
Get the support built up before the birth so you know who you can contact - good luck :hug:

Fluffy Bunny said:
Snuggle said:
The hospital last time gave up on me really quickly and just told me to use formula :( The hospital I'll use this time if need be a very pro breastfeeding so hopefully the support is much better :wink:

Definately really important :D I was briefly in Leic General last time and they were cr*p, no support and told me when I was struggling to just give formula, grr :shakehead:
There is a lady who works at St Mary's birth centre in Melton called Jackie who is brilliant, a real breastfeeding guardian angel. She works on the ward as a new mother support and is brilliant at helping out with breastfeeding problems. You would be able to go there, even if you don't want to to give birth, you could transfer there straight after to get the support you need, maybe worth it?
Get the support built up before the birth so you know who you can contact - good luck :hug:

It was Leicester General that gave up on me hun :( Its St Marys that I'm hoping to use this time round :cheer: My MW is Joyce from there. I wanted to go there last time but had to go to Leicester for monitoring as hadnt felt baby move and went into labour whilst there :roll:

Snuggle said:
Fluffy Bunny said:
Snuggle said:

It was Leicester General that gave up on me hun :( Its St Marys that I'm hoping to use this time round :cheer: My MW is Joyce from there. I wanted to go there last time but had to go to Leicester for monitoring as hadnt felt baby move and went into labour whilst there :roll:

:cheer: Joyce is tops, she was my midwife who birthed Evie and was so lovely I can't describe - she stayed passed the end of her shift to see me give birth and then came back in to St Mary's the next evening to see us again even though she wasn't working :hug: I gave her such a big hug :hug:
Jackie works on the ward during the day, she'll really help with the breastfeeding. Just remember about transferring back to melton if for whatever reason you don't end up birthing there. I birthed there, then had to go to Leic general to be stitched up, they tried to keep me at the general but I had a mini freak out session :wink: and they let me go back to melton (had to stay in for a few days because of the tear). You don't have to birth at melton to go and use the post natal services offered on the ward - and its lovely, only 8 beds and decent food!

As for Leic Gen :roll: (god help me its my named main hosp this time again :pray: ). I had my 20 wk scan there a few weeks ago, my appoint was 10.30am - I got out at 1.05pm :roll: :roll:

I'm opting for Peterborough as my hospital this time and if for whatever reason I cant birth at St Marys I will beg to be transferred there after the birth :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Currish
Back